My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Colonel

Volvo Penta SX Tilt drive

I have recently bought a second hand 2005model 180FS.

All looked fine after a test run and taking it home but after the second run I noticed the leg had dropped and that there is oil seeping from the bung and I suspect through my bilge.

Apart from the obvious check for leaks, I have no manuals for the engine (Volvo Penta 4.3GL), or the power tilt drive, so I have no idea what I need to do to correctly operate and or maintain either.

Does any one know where I can find the manuals?

Volvo does not officially offer a reseal kit for the SX trim cylinders. With that said, OMC does offer a reseal kit which I'm told will work to reseal the SX trim cylinders as the OMC cylinders were virtually identical. The OMC trim cylinder reseal kit part number is 985060 (cost is $27.25 plus tax) compared to a new Volvo SX trim cylinder which is ($472.50 plus tax each).

Get your manuals for engine and outdrive from this Seloc link.

http://www.selocmarine.com/product_finder.php?Engine=8411

I have recently bought a second hand 2005model 180FS.

All looked fine after a test run and taking it home but after the second run I noticed the leg had dropped and that there is oil seeping from the bung and I suspect through my bilge.

Apart from the obvious check for leaks, I have no manuals for the engine (Volvo Penta 4.3GL), or the power tilt drive, so I have no idea what I need to do to correctly operate and or maintain either.

Does any one know where I can find the manuals?

If there is visible leakage, fixing that would be a good place to start. I usually place newspapers underneath the drive (outside of the boat), then underneath the hydraulic pump inside the boat and watch for oil drips. If its leaking where the hydraulic line connects to the cylinder or the pump, disconnect those lines and replace the small rubber o-ring inside, torque to 100 in/lbs and your leak should be gone.

If you have no visible leakage, its probably internal to the cylinder or valve body (pump). Both can be serviced, but are a little more involved.

You can buy a manual at volvopentastore.com

If there is visible leakage, fixing that would be a good place to start. I usually place newspapers underneath the drive (outside of the boat), then underneath the hydraulic pump inside the boat and watch for oil drips. If its leaking where the hydraulic line connects to the cylinder or the pump, disconnect those lines and replace the small rubber o-ring inside, torque to 100 in/lbs and your leak should be gone.

If you have no visible leakage, its probably internal to the cylinder or valve body (pump). Both can be serviced, but are a little more involved.

You can buy a manual at volvopentastore.com

Thanks for the advice. The leak seems to be from the pump motor under the transom. Now to find the correct size O-rings... Hopefully this is the biggest problem I have with the boat as it handles beautifully when I had it out for its (my) maiden voyage.