My Monterey
reelhpy

Monterey 242 to Catalina Island

Greetings,

Just wanted to hear from other Monterey owners out west. I take my 242 to Catalina twice a year now for 4 years and she handles the waves and weather better than I ever anticipated. I hope to keep and enjoy this boat for many years to come.

:D

post-116-1196016720_thumb.jpg

post-116-1196016727_thumb.jpg

We have had our 262 for about 7 months and have done 3 Catalina trips. All of them a total success.

Our other favorite trip is Paradise cove, Malibu.

a 45 minute trip from Marina Del Rey, Paradise Cove is a GREAT way to spend the day (or the weekend) swinging on the anchor.

post-385-1206596360_thumb.jpg

Greetings,

Just wanted to hear from other Monterey owners out west. I take my 242 to Catalina twice a year now for 4 years and she handles the waves and weather better than I ever anticipated. I hope to keep and enjoy this boat for many years to come.

biggrin.gif

We have our 298 SC for about 8 weeks now and we have been to Catalina 5 times! in the morning all is fun and fast! (about 35 to 40 M/Hr.) bobbing around in Catalina sometimes gets "sickening" (but ok) when we go back, mostly around 4 PM, it can get pretty choppy out there but still the boat acts pretty ok!

Almost 4 years later and so few replies to this thread?

No Monterrey owners on the West Coast (Southern California) or just none that head to Catalina?

We only went once this summer but plan on going back in the next couple weeks.

Greetings Markhb !! Glad to see some other BABC'ers who own Monterey's posting here. There is a veteran BABC guy who just bought a Monterey and will announce it soon, and he is also a California boater.

I go to Catalina fairly regular through the summer for the day. We have also camped on the beach overnight.

Markhb,

This is will be my 2nd summer with my 99 Monterey 210 and we are also planning to head out to Catalina this summer. It will be my 1st trip out there, so we are hoping to get some good advice on: best time to leave, where to anchor, how to get around and what def NOT to do or forget before heading out.

Maybe one of you fellow West Coast Monterey-ers might want to buddy boat out there with us if we can plan it that way.

Any Info would be appreciated. I have a 233 ex deck boat in San Diego. I was thinking about trailering it up to Dana Point to take over to Catalina. I have heard mixed reviews about the size of Boat that can handle going across. Does anyone have experience going across in a 23ft deck boat or open bow boat. Thanks in advance.

Vlotta,

Your 233 will make it across to Catalina. I've seen all type and sizes make the trip as well including watercrafts. The main thing you need to remember, is swells and wave frequency. of course smaller boats don't like large swells, or waves that are really close together.

The trip from Dana point to Catalina is about 33 miles. You need to leave in very early morning when you have very calm water. Don't expect to return the same day, I would stay over night instead of risking the afternoon currents back to DP. As the day wears on the water will get choppy with increased wave heights.

I have a Monterey 245 @ 27 feet and I was given the same advise. I have had my boat in open water with 4 to 5 foot waves and it wasn't fun. If you have other friends with boats, try to get additional boats to make the trip with you. And of course, make sure you have all your life vests, and the rest of your safety equipment on board.

Take care.

Here are a couple of pics from previous trips to Catalina.

271321075.jpg

3 Montereys at anchor. We slept on the beach in tents.

271321111.jpg

My boat at anchor

145340324.jpg

Going to Catalina is a ball.. We've been over several times and like staying on the backside in Catalina Harbor the best.

It is very quite there and you can really chill out without all the noise that you get in Avalon. We generally leave early in

the morning from Davies launch ramp in Belmont Shores, and head over to Avalon and spend a few days there. Then

we fish / sight see our way around the south end of the island and head toward Catalina Harbor. Once there we spend

a few more days just bumming around swimming and reading.. After that we head around the north end of the island and

head to the other side of the isthmus and spend the last day or two in Two Harbors. From there it's a good run back to

Alamitos Bay. You have the swell coming at you from you rear port quarter and it makes it much nicer when the swell

is big because you are crossing at a 45° angel. We used to drag a 9'6" inflatable behind us but have now got a davit

system that lets us hook the boat to the swim step and flip it up and go. We also have a 9.9 Mercury that mounts to a

mounting system on the rear of the boat as well. Must safer, and faster then towing. We normally come home from

Two Harbors early in the morning too. This makes for a much smoother crossing. If you plan on heading back late then

be ready for a bumpy ride. I also like having the better part of the day of sunlight in case something should go wrong too.

Lots of big ships and boats in the San Pedro channel and being out there in the dark dead in the water at night is not how

I want to spend my time waiting for someone to come to help.