My Monterey

Hello, i bought a Monterey 295 cr second from 2 years old, 40 hours running and almost new but i have problems when we are going harder than 3000 rps near by 3500,after a while there is going a alarm on for abouth 20 seconds and the engine is going back to2000 or less ,i put the trottle in neutral and wait until the alarm is going of,after that i can go on,but again over the 3000 we had this again,i was happy when i buy this boat a few weeks ago,but now i am sad,we already replaced the impeller ,but it didnt help,does anybody now an answer

sorry for my bad english

Louis Botter from the netherlands

Hello, i bought a Monterey 295 cr second from 2 years old, 40 hours running and almost new but i have problems when we are going harder than 3000 rps near by 3500,after a while there is going a alarm on for abouth 20 seconds and the engine is going back to2000 or less ,i put the trottle in neutral and wait until the alarm is going of,after that i can go on,but again over the 3000 we had this again,i was happy when i buy this boat a few weeks ago,but now i am sad,we already replaced the impeller ,but it didnt help,does anybody now an answer

sorry for my bad english

Louis Botter from the netherlands

Hello Louis,

Your alarm is telling you that the engine needs attention because something is wrong. It is putting it into "safe mode" to prevent serious damage from occuring- that is why it slows to 2000 rpm. If the boat has been sitting, it needs a full check up by your Monterey dealer or an authorized mechancic Immediately. There could be debris lodged in the cooling system, oil leak or any number of other things causing the alarm to go off.

If you continue to run the engines you can possibly cause serious damage.

Louis,

When the engine goes into "safe mode" it will record the error code on the EMS computer chip (Engine Management System).

An authorised dealer will read this code and be able to tell you very quickly what the fault is

Regards

Ian

Louis,

When the engine goes into "safe mode" it will record the error code on the EMS computer chip (Engine Management System).

An authorised dealer will read this code and be able to tell you very quickly what the fault is

Regards

Ian

Hi there,

If it's a mercruiser you just activate THE GARDIAN, if it is a beep....beep.... exactly at 3000 rpm, normally rpm sensor, if it is continually propably is the petrol sensor. I'm saying this because i assumed that the gauges said that temp normal, psi normal, bat normal.

If you have a northstart system or navman system conected to the engine, you can see this code in display - smartcraft - historical errors, there it should appear at what engine hours that happen, why it happen and the mercruiser code for the error.

Otherwise just go to your dealer.

P.S. The gardian is a safe mode so you can get to the marina without blow out the engine.

If it is a seacore see the water level in the tank.

Mine was doing the same thing, turns out it was overheating. Swapped out the thermostat with a new one, and it stopped. Apparently the old thermostate was all gunked up from lake water and would no longer open/close.

Think it cost me like $12 to fix.

I have a 2006 Monterey 322 CR with twin Volvo Penta 5.7 OSI-d's:

I had an alarm issue that were attributed to a bad sensor. First, I determined which engine was throwing the alarm; mine was port.

There are several sensors; fuel pressure, temperature, etc. I guessed and started troubleshooting temperature.

When running at 2300 RPM, my temperature for both engines, after warm up was fine; about 170 degrees F. I used an infrared thermometer ($45) and took the temperature of all four risers, when they were all about the same temp (somewhere about 105 degrees F, if i remember correctly), I concluded there was not a cooling issue due to bad thermostat, too little water (bad/worn impellar) or clogged risers. As both engines were running at the same temps, guages were showing similar values, etc. My thinking was that both engines were performing similarly and only one was throwing an alarm.

I figured a bad sensor was triggering the alarm; as I have read complaints about the sensors.

I first located and inspected the exhaust riser sensors and found one to have a bad connection. I cleaned the connector, removed and replaced the sensor (about $25-30 each) and the problem was fixed.

I got lucky and would suggest getting your boat checked by an authorized service technician. I just wanted to share my experience.

re: 2014 Monterey 328 ss  w/ 350 mercs ...what does the guarding alarm/knocking the rpms down actually monitor ? motor oil level, battery, temp, drive oil etc..? does it monitor the power steering fluid ?

Engine oil pressure and cooling temp. I have an old 2000 system so yours may cover more. I would not think power steering has any alarms. If you check the fluid level all should be okay. If your belt is loose you'll hear it squeal.

I have a 2006 Monterey runabout with the 4.3. an alarm comes on when you turn the key on and stays on indefinitely. High pitch constant alarm. With it coming on immediately I assume it's not a temperature issue, any ideas?