My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
m_cogs

2002 248LS wastewater tank?

I just bought a 2002 248LS Bowrider and thought that there was a waste holding tank. But I now think that the pumpout hose goes to the storage tank on the portapotti.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Is there a preferred way of pumping this out at home?

Also, where does the floor (and sink) drain go to from the head?

OK...since yesterday, I figured out that there is a sump and a pump under the floor in the head. But how is the pump wired? Is it automatic? Is there a switch?

Hello m_cogs,

The waste pump out for the head was an option on the 2002 248LS and it is designed to be pumped out at a waste "dump" facility. Most marinas offer this service as well as RV/Motorhome/camping parks.

Grey water such as the sink and shower goes directly overboard unless you have a "greywater system" installed.

There is an automatic float switch on the bilge pump. To manually operate it, turn on the accessory switch on the dash and then the bilge switch on the dash.

OK...I see the pump out port on the outside, but does that go directly to the portapotti or is there a waste holding tank under the deck?

Any ideas as to a method of pumping out at home rather than a marina?

I have a 2003 248 LS Cuddy that I trailer. I do not have a grey water system, the pumpout attachment is connected directly to the porta-potti. I have fashioned a device to allow me to do pump-outs at home.

The key to the system is a macerator pump that I purchased from West Marine. I also purchased sanitation hose for both the inlet and outlet fittings, probably 7 feet on the inlet side and 5 or so on the outlet side. The hose is a different diameter on each end of the pump.

For hardware, on the boat end I found a galvanized threaded section of pipe at my hardware store that fits. From there I connect to a PVC union so I can easily connect the rest of the assembly once the threaded pipe is connected to the pumpout fitting. The other side of the union is connected to an elbow, then a reducer to a barbed hose connector that attaches to the sanitation hose and pump. For power I simply use a 12 volt jump starter.

The macerator pump won't draw unless it is wet, so I find it necessary to prime the intake hose with water before I can draw waste from the tank. Everything has to be airtight, too, so the pipe threads need teflon tape or other goop to seal them. I pump out into a 5 gallon bucket which I CAREFULLY bring into the house to dump in the toilet.

This setup probably cost me around 200 bucks, with the macerator pump and hose being by far the largest expense. If I were to do it over again I would try to rig something up to make the inlet easier to prime, I have to disconnect the union and pour water down it.

I hope that's of use to you.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

You did exactly what I was going to do, but I figured that the portipotti is only going to be used for "emergencies". So I disconnected the hose from the pump-out fitting and bought a threaded fitting and cap for the porti-potti tank and turned it back into a "portable" potti. I just take it out and into the house to dump.

But I did find out (during the summer rains) that the drain in the head goes to a sump under the front floor compartment.

What I am looking for now is a replacement transom shower spray handle.

Thanks!

Mike