My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
pepmyster

Engine temp

Hi everyone. Love the site, lots of info. Here's the story. Engine over heating only once in a while. I replaced the impeller this spring so it's not that, since the temp is okay one day and over the top the next. I removed the thermostate housing and low and behold...the thermostate was seized closed. It was rated at 160 degress. Replaced with another 160. Reassemble all parts...Now...over cools! My guage is reading 130 on the dash. The guage before was okay. no issues with it. One thing I noticed...the left ,if looking at the engine, exhaust manifold is hotter than the right. Any thoughts??????????????????????

Okay,Since everyone is shy to reply, I'll tell you all what happened. I removed the thermostat and tried again. Guage worked fine but over-heated. Thats it..take the boat out. On the trailer. first things first,, check the foot(Alpha 0ne). water holes okay.. look behind the foot towards the transom and see the hose between the foot and the transom KINKED. Damm. I replaced this in the spring also. Since Mercruiser does not sell the moulded hose antmore. They give you a straight hose. I took the hose side by side and cut to the same size. Looked good at first. Too long by half an inch. Had to remove to foot again, remove to hose,take a new hose , cut the half inch shorter.install. put foot back. Put water muffs. start engine. perfect. Soooooooooooooo.....please be careful with the new replacement hose.

Hi,

Not sure if this has anything to do with the kink but your leg/s should also be stored in the fully down position. This relieves stress on the rubber componets and is what the Mercruiser (and Volvo) manuals say.

OBVIOUSLY - you still need to use the fully up / transport mode when trailering etc.

Legs should also be in the down postion when engine flushing

Hi Ian, it does not have anything to do with that, the curve in the original hose, takes care of that when in the full down. And, I found a replacement moulded hose made by Sierra. I will remove the straight one again when I remove my foot for winter storage, which I always do anyway!