My Monterey
DJR's M5

New to Monterey

Hi all! We are new to the forum and to Montereys! Just signed yesterday on our new 2010 M5. It is a boat I have coveted for over a year. I saw it at the Cincinnati boat show in Jan. of 2010. Worked on our faithful Maxum 2300sr over the summer and was able to sell her for a great price last Sept. All the while watching that M5 and hoping it would be there. Made a run at it in Oct. as being without a boat after 10 years was totally freaking me out!rolleyes.gif No dice, the price was too high and the financing not great. Looked at a Chapparal 256, but it just wasn't the same. I NEEEEDed the M5. So the squirreling away of money continued. . .

Got through Christmas and to the boat show again last weekend and lo and behold they were ready to deal and the financing was good. IT IS NOW MINE!!! biggrin.gif Pic attached.

She hasn't been wet yet, we'll pick up the first of April or as soon as the weather breaks!

So tell me about the forum? And, what is the deal with the Monterey store? Is that it? Where can I get cool Monterey boat gear?

post-18069-129622571375_thumb.jpg

WELCOME! Beautiful looking boat! Hoping you get many enjoyable and safe years out of her!

Thanks! Activity kind of thin on this board. Can't believe people with these great boats aren't looking for an outlet during these cold winter months!

Thanks! Activity kind of thin on this board. Can't believe people with these great boats aren't looking for an outlet during these cold winter months!

Well, we must be "in the same boat" so to speak. I just joined the forum and also just purchased an M5 at the Austin Texas Boat show and it is identical to yours, except canvas in black. I am exactly where you are in the delivery que with mine due in late March. I have been shopping for over 3 years, wasn't in a hurry and actaull like the looks of the new Four Winns 262 but even the dealers that carried it had zero in the shows that I attended and were taking a waite and see attitude on the new ownership. However, after seeing the M5 with all of the features and options that we wanted with the value price it was a no brainer. I ran the boat right after the Austin show in a 2-3 foot chop and it was really impressive. Very comfortable ride anywhere you sat and stable in head on, follwoing and quartering sea's. When you just stand in this boat you can tell there is something under you other than water!!

The picture looks fab and I must tell you that in the water it looks even better...nice profile and lines that are sleek. When my dealter came to our place for the demo ride we looked down and saw it and knew it was the one.

Let's keep the stories going around our mutual discoveries and we break them in.

Congrats

LTMTM5

My guess is that your season in TX will be start a bit sooner and last a little longer than mine. I'm a little jealous.

Can't wait to get it out and get it wet. Trying to get some info on buying another pedastal for a second table. Have a nice butcher block table that was made for my prior boat. Didn't give it up when I sold it as it was aftermarket and they are hard to come by. I use it for a grill table. With the side mounts, the old pedastal doesn't work.

Do you have any ideas for yours?

My guess is that your season in TX will be start a bit sooner and last a little longer than mine. I'm a little jealous.

Can't wait to get it out and get it wet. Trying to get some info on buying another pedastal for a second table. Have a nice butcher block table that was made for my prior boat. Didn't give it up when I sold it as it was aftermarket and they are hard to come by. I use it for a grill table. With the side mounts, the old pedastal doesn't work.

Do you have any ideas for yours?

Yes, we were not crazy about the arch in white aluminum so we got the bimini top. Dealer says no noise or rattles but I have seen one yet that does not squeek a little when running in a chop. We liked the looks and function of a stainless one like the Cobalt 272 has. REally pricey though. I liked the integrated tops that come with those arches and plan to investigate a shop or two locally that builds them. Not in a hurry and will certinaly see how well we like the bimini before ordering any custom. Dealer says that the thru deck plates are in place so a custom top could go on without any hassles

So true about the boating season here. I have an in water lift in a marina in front of a water front condo so we did not even buy a trailer. WE did buy a engine compartment heater to help keep it dry and since we live about 3 horus from the lake I did not want to have to drive down there and winterize during one of the few 'cold' spells that we get here. We can actaully boat in Jan Feb on some of the mid 60 degree days that we get here often during that time. I did get the standard table mounts in our boat but can understand the interest in your set up, both sentiemtnal and functional. I wanted to get a teak table but sort of cut back on the budget so it was cut at order time.

Just found out today that our boat will be delivered April 15 so you may beat us to the water. Take pictures as we will also and post.

Hi,

Thought I would add my $0.02 worth maybe to save you some money down the road.

You mentioned that your boat was on a lift. From experience, don't count on that heater keeping the engine compartment warm during a cold spell.

I live in Dallas and last year, we had a couple of days that the weather got into the teens for a couple of days and the sump bowl drain on the bottom of my engine froze and cracked.

They wanted $470 to replace a $170 part so I got the part. After about an hour (they said 2) to replace it, bloody knuckles, it was fixed.

With the boat out of the water, the air can circulate all around the hull, it WILL get cold and the bilge heater that I had could not keep up. It was rated as big enough to keep it from freezing but it did not.

Had I thought about it, I would have just lowered the boat into the water and used the water temp to help with the heater and that would probably have stopped it from freezing.

Just my opinion. Don't have to worry about that now, we just bought a 2001 Monterey 302 Cruiser that was like new. Can't wait for summer!!

Good luck and enjoy your new boat!

Thanks for the tip..your 2cents may be worth hundreds so thanks. My boat will be at Lake Travis as I am in Dallas also and remember the bitter cold that sometimes have in Dallas and that has moved down to Austin before. I will double check with the dealer to see what temperature ranges this heater thing operates at. No doubt draining the block is the answer and I understand the new M5 has a very simple procedure for doing that. The boat outof the water make total sense also. I have had an outboard boat for over 35 years and really never been around the I/O set up so I am not that familiar with the part that you reference. Is it in the cooling system on the engine?

LTMTM5:

So, how did the pick up go on Friday? Picked mine up on Friday as well. Weather has been crappy so I've been doing most of my tinkering in the barn. As I mentioned the one I purchased has been on the lot for a while so I have some clean up to do to make me happy as I store indoors.

One thing that I've had to have replaced is the ram for the transom storage locker. Even the replacement seems a little light for a RAM that is supposed to hold a door open with the weight of a seat. How does yours work?

Hi all! We are new to the forum and to Montereys! Just signed yesterday on our new 2010 M5. It is a boat I have coveted for over a year. I saw it at the Cincinnati boat show in Jan. of 2010. Worked on our faithful Maxum 2300sr over the summer and was able to sell her for a great price last Sept. All the while watching that M5 and hoping it would be there. Made a run at it in Oct. as being without a boat after 10 years was totally freaking me out!rolleyes.gif No dice, the price was too high and the financing not great. Looked at a Chapparal 256, but it just wasn't the same. I NEEEEDed the M5. So the squirreling away of money continued. . .

Got through Christmas and to the boat show again last weekend and lo and behold they were ready to deal and the financing was good. IT IS NOW MINE!!! biggrin.gif Pic attached.

She hasn't been wet yet, we'll pick up the first of April or as soon as the weather breaks!

So tell me about the forum? And, what is the deal with the Monterey store? Is that it? Where can I get cool Monterey boat gear?

The M5 is a sweet boat! I looked all over the country for a 214 FS 5.7, we finally found a new '09 in late 2010 in Utah and had it shipped to Seattle.

I have found, the only way to get original Monterey parts is through a dealer or EBay.

Hope this helps, enjoy your ride.

Thanks for the tip..your 2cents may be worth hundreds so thanks. My boat will be at Lake Travis as I am in Dallas also and remember the bitter cold that sometimes have in Dallas and that has moved down to Austin before. I will double check with the dealer to see what temperature ranges this heater thing operates at. No doubt draining the block is the answer and I understand the new M5 has a very simple procedure for doing that. The boat outof the water make total sense also. I have had an outboard boat for over 35 years and really never been around the I/O set up so I am not that familiar with the part that you reference. Is it in the cooling system on the engine?

We have a 290 SCR that is in the slip year round at Lake Powell in AZ. We use the boat year round and we have and engine heater ( boatsafe) that our mechanic recomended that worked great. When we are't there we put towells in the outside airvents to minimize the cold air. Temps got down to 15 degrees on more than a few nights and we never had a problem .

Hi,

I am new as well. I just got a 2005 208si with a 5.0L merc 260hp. It is missing the cooler that goes under the seat. Does anyone know the size and or brand that came originally. I have tried many different coolers, but none fit. Also, I use the boat for skiing, but have had trouble getting out of the hole. The boat came with a 23 pitch, and I went to a 19, which helped, but prop was too small, red lined alot, also the boat still had a big wake, and bounced alot with the trim all the way down. So I put a fin on, with a 21 pitch. The boat now is great as a runabout, and does well with a tube. But still a little diffcult in the hole, and the wake is still a little large with skier, fine without skier. Thinking of adding a Alpha 4 14-20 prop. Love to hear comments. Love the boat, just want to get the skiing better.