My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Alain

Buying a 2006 268SS any advise?

I currently own a 2005 Bayliner 195BR that I bought new 5yrs ago. It's been a great boat but the family has grown and well it's time for a bigger boat. My local dealer has a used 2006 Monterey 268SS with Volvo Penta 5.7GXi (320hp) with only 84hrs and is in great shape. My question is will the 320HP be enough for this big of a boat and will it do ok pulling a knee board or tube. I've asked different people(mostly sales guys) and have gotten mixed replies. Anything I should look for? I have until Saturday to pull the plug on the deal so any info would be great.

Alain

Probably too late of a response, but that engine should be fine for what you want to do. It's a great hull and that is all

the power it really needs to get up and go. Bigger is always better, but in this case, 320hp. is enough.

We have a 268 with a 496 mag. The 320hp will depend what you want to do in it and with how many people, IMO. I will say that Ive never had a problem getting on plane with a boat full of people and gear/ice chests.

I currently own a 2005 Bayliner 195BR that I bought new 5yrs ago. It's been a great boat but the family has grown and well it's time for a bigger boat. My local dealer has a used 2006 Monterey 268SS with Volvo Penta 5.7GXi (320hp) with only 84hrs and is in great shape. My question is will the 320HP be enough for this big of a boat and will it do ok pulling a knee board or tube. I've asked different people(mostly sales guys) and have gotten mixed replies. Anything I should look for? I have until Saturday to pull the plug on the deal so any info would be great.

Alain

Alain

I know it is too late...but in case you keep shopping. I own a 268 SC with a 320 HP Volvo and it pulls tubes and knee boards just fine. The only time I have wished I had more HP is when the boat was full of gas, people and full canvas was on an extended cruise. It took a few more RPM's than I would have liked to cruise at speed. Other than than that, it is great. It is outstanding on gas, which comes in handy when the prices spike.

Steve