My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
28 monterey cruiser

inverter

I have 4 heavy duty batterries wired 2 per bank (2 selector switch) but was told I could get up 8 hours+ of use for an overnight stay with no dock power but I am not getting more than 2 hours the inverter is from West Marine but I have not changed the factory charger or alternator -262 cruiser 2000 I know anyone answering this will need battery performance and inverter size (I will supply that when I go down to the boat later) I believe I have more than enough power in all catagories -I think it's the wiring method that is causing the problem or the charger -everything does work but not for the time I want 8 hours+

What advice would you have to get me to where I want to be (power is 7.4 mercruiser with Bravo III duo props -like new condition )?

I have 4 heavy duty batterries wired 2 per bank (2 selector switch) but was told I could get up 8 hours+ of use for an overnight stay with no dock power but I am not getting more than 2 hours the inverter is from West Marine but I have not changed the factory charger or alternator -262 cruiser 2000 I know anyone answering this will need battery performance and inverter size (I will supply that when I go down to the boat later) I believe I have more than enough power in all catagories -I think it's the wiring method that is causing the problem or the charger -everything does work but not for the time I want 8 hours+

What advice would you have to get me to where I want to be (power is 7.4 mercruiser with Bravo III duo props -like new condition )?

Need more information here. What are you trying to power for 8+ hrs that needs 110v? If your power needs are just 12v items, then with a little bit of conservation, you should easily be able to get 8+ hrs. I know I do.

As you suggest, you really need to know more info about what you have, capacities, ratings, charger details, air con model / current draw etc.

How many start batteries do you have and how many house batteries to you have?

Any idea why you have "4 batteries wired 2 per bank"? This sounds a bit odd if they are all house batteries

What else do you run when the a/c is on? Refigerator/s, TV (inverter driven or 12V DC), coffee makers etc.

Are all the batteries flat after 2 hours? Have you measured any voltages of individual batteries (i.e. disconnected from each other) before and after use?

Let me know when you get the information

Ian

You are trying to run your 5,000 btu A/C sytem with an inverter? You might get an hour before the batteries go dead! Is this for at a dock where you can't run your generator or a Honda type generator?

On my 242, I use a 1200W Xantrex inverter to run a Mermaid 5,000 BTU A/C while under way and for short periods of time (about an hour) while docking for lunch. I have never tried it overnight, but I recall the Mermaid factory saying that you need about 400 amp hours of battery power. Their website is www.mmair.com