My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
DanMar

Vacu-Flush

When I turn on the head power, the vacuflush system pulses not stop. You can flush the toilet and it has the suction, but the pump is running all the time.

It is obvious that it is not maintaining the required pressure in the system.

Question. Having looked at the diagrams of the system, there are only 4 valves called "duckbill valves". Is this the most likely place for the leaks to occur? How do you know which side is leaking?

Should I just replace all four valves? The seal in the toilet is good. I can run water into the toilet and with the pump running, or not, the water stays. That would indicate to me that the ball valve in the toilet is good so it must be one of the duck valves.

I am thinking that it is the duck valves just prior to the holding tank.

Thanks for the comments

You are on the right track. Replace one at a time until issue is resolved. All of them probably do not need replacing.

While you are at it, also check hoses and the hose clamps throughout the system. Check the tubing hasn't perished or been "cut" under the clamp.

Also, at 10 years old, while you are playing around, look at replacing the rubber components in your vacuum pump. They come in a kit and aren't that expensive.

Faulty / worn duckbills usually will let a vacuum build up, so motor stops, but then comes back on fairly quickly. It's not usual that duckbills will make your pump run permanently... but with a boat, nothing is "usual"

Good luck

UPDATE...

After taking the hoses off to get to the duckbills, the duckbill valves were all boogered up. I replaced them but in doing so found out that the pressure switch is also kaput.

The pump motor would not work now at all. Not believing that the motor was bad, I bypassed the switch and it started working just fine.

The brass fitting that holds the wire to the switch was broken inside the switch and was not making contact. I assume that I hit it when taking out the duckbills.

Tried to install a longer screw into the other hole that reaches the live part of the switch and it worked just fine. But, I am replacing the switch and the spring mechanism so as to be done with it.

Hopefully, with this, it will function properly. Not reason not to!

UPDATE...

After taking the hoses off to get to the duckbills, the duckbill valves were all boogered up. I replaced them but in doing so found out that the pressure switch is also kaput.

The pump motor would not work now at all. Not believing that the motor was bad, I bypassed the switch and it started working just fine.

The brass fitting that holds the wire to the switch was broken inside the switch and was not making contact. I assume that I hit it when taking out the duckbills.

Tried to install a longer screw into the other hole that reaches the live part of the switch and it worked just fine. But, I am replacing the switch and the spring mechanism so as to be done with it.

Hopefully, with this, it will function properly. Not reason not to!

FURTHER UPDATE:

I have replaced all duckbill valves and the pressure switch. It is working OK but still when the pump cutoff, I heard a hissing. After further review, I find that the line from the toilet to the vacuum tank is leaking pressure. I used some adhesive caulk around the pipe that slides into the universal ring and I hear no more leaking. The pump still runs about 5 cycles every 5-10 minutes so I am loosing pressure somewhere but can not figure out where unless there is some gunk in one or more of the new duckbills. I am going to wait for awhile to see if it clears as I am tired of screwing with it. It works. Done. If it bugs me down the road, then I might tear it apart again to fix.