My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Keith

Oil change

I hope I am doing this right, I have a 2005 FS 180 with a 4.3L Merc. There are many things in owners manual that I can do for example an oil change. However, this is much more difficult than I thought. I finally took it to my local boat dealer (no Monterey's) and paid a lot for a little. My problem was I cannot find the oil filter! The dealer told me they will not do it again for the price I paid (just under 300.00). They recommended going to the remote system. I'm not to familier with that, I'm looking for any assistance that might be helpful.

Thanks...

A dealer not happy getting only $300.00 for a single engine oil change? :blink: Did they do other work also?

Looking front to back, the oil filter on my 5.0 is located on the upper right side of the motor (port side of boat).

I use a pump to vacuum the oil out through the dipstick tube.

Keith,

Call Ocean Beach Marina in New Jersey (732)793-7460 and speak with their service manager. He is outstanding knows his stuff and will guide you, with you in mind not your wallet.

Godd Luck and Safe Boating

Junior

Keith, I know what you mean. It is hard to find but not so hard to get to and work on. The first year I let the boat dealer do my oil change and drive gear oil and my winterization, but over the winter I bought the mainteance manuals for my boat which is also like yours 2007 FS180 with a 4.3 mercruiser engine that I bought in July 2006. You proably know by now where your oil filter is, on the port side bottom back of your engine. I considered going to a remote oil filter also, but proably will not now. I took the port side panel off beside the engine with just a couple of screws and un hook the hydraulic shock, just make sure you use a block of wood to hold up the door. I was then able to get myself inside the compartment, and I'm 5-10 190 pounds, and reach my oil filter with ease. The boat dealers wo'nt tell you that, they want you to think its really difficult to do. If your like me you don't have money growing on trees around your house. Your right there is a lot you can do yourself,and knowing its getting done, when you do it, and not having to wonder later did they do what I asked and paid for. I also left my panel beside my engine off until spring because I'm goint to lubricate just before I dewinterize. Good luck with the boat, I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine has.

Hey Flyboy....

I'm interested and capable of doing my own work too. Can you tell me where you got the maintenance manuals from please?

Thanks much for your help and Happy Boating!