My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
DanMar

Sliding Cabin Door

OK, I have done what would be normal I think. I have washed the track with a garden hose and gotten all the dust, sand, miscellaneous garbage out of there. I have lubed the track with silicon spray, top and bottom.

The problem is that it is still sticking. It is fairly easy to open. It might be that you have more leverage than when closing but to close it using just that hand hold sometimes is very difficult.

Any suggestions on how to make this thing slide easier? I am not a little guy but it sure is a pain.

Thanks in advance!!

"Boobie Trap"

Lake Dallas, TX

Can you visibly see the door hitting or scraping anything on the way back?

Also, I was told to use vaseline as a lubricant. You'll have to apply it more often, and it won't work as good as WD-40/silicon spray, but if you touch it, or rub your clothes up against it, or a child touches it, it won't show black and won't be harmful. Just a thought.

OK, I have done what would be normal I think. I have washed the track with a garden hose and gotten all the dust, sand, miscellaneous garbage out of there. I have lubed the track with silicon spray, top and bottom.

The problem is that it is still sticking. It is fairly easy to open. It might be that you have more leverage than when closing but to close it using just that hand hold sometimes is very difficult.

Any suggestions on how to make this thing slide easier? I am not a little guy but it sure is a pain.

Thanks in advance!!

"Boobie Trap"

Lake Dallas, TX

It may be time to look at replacing the rollers - ask M.O.S.T for manufacturer details.

To check, when closing the door, try lightly lifting the door while closing it (or use 2 hands - one lightly lifting while other is sliding)

The easy open / hard close is most likely due door to the door being "over square" i.e. tall and narrow

When you open the door, the handle / catch position actually makes you 'lift' the door slightly, and therein take the pressure of the bad / sticky roller.

Conversely, when you close the door, there is an effective 'downforce', placing additional load on the roller.

It may be time to look at replacing the rollers - ask M.O.S.T for manufacturer details.

To check, when closing the door, try lightly lifting the door while closing it (or use 2 hands - one lightly lifting while other is sliding)

The easy open / hard close is most likely due door to the door being "over square" i.e. tall and narrow

When you open the door, the handle / catch position actually makes you 'lift' the door slightly, and therein take the pressure of the bad / sticky roller.

Conversely, when you close the door, there is an effective 'downforce', placing additional load on the roller.

I've got the same problem. Any luck with yours? Mine works fine with a good bit of lube for a week or so. I'll check out new rollers next year.

White Lithium Grease from Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards does the trick nicely. Do not buy the aerosol spray, but the tube. After you apply, this stuff sticks and lubes everything it contacts.....whats also nice is that it stays in the tracks for a good length of time. I started with WD-40 and Graphite Spray but was constantly reapplying after just a few weeks. Twice a season is how frequent I would apply the white lithium grease. With it being white too, you dont really notice it in the tracks, thus your tracks dont look dirty all the time.