My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Safety

Hello to all:

Newbie here, and recently purchased a beautiful 06' 250 Cr w/ 350 MAG. First thought when opening up the engine compartment, would not want to have a mishap when the belt was turning. Question, has any one seen or herd of a belt guard for this application?

Alan

Hello to all:

Newbie here, and recently purchased a beautiful 06' 250 Cr w/ 350 MAG. First thought when opening up the engine compartment, would not want to have a mishap when the belt was turning. Question, has any one seen or herd of a belt guard for this application?

Alan

Hi Alan

I've never seen anything from Merc.

I guess they'd claim the variety of installations would make it impractical for them to design a factory option

So I suppose bespoke is the way to go

You could try your local shipwright or if you can design something yourself, a sheet metal worker (probably a lot cheaper)

Good luck

Hi Alan

I've never seen anything from Merc.

I guess they'd claim the variety of installations would make it impractical for them to design a factory option

So I suppose bespoke is the way to go

You could try your local shipwright or if you can design something yourself, a sheet metal worker (probably a lot cheaper)

Good luck

lan

I have come to conclusion this topic must not be a concerning issue out there. If "bespoke" means the same as "take causion", I'm with you my friend. I may look into a clear poly carbonite design just so I am not the first to experience a bad event with a turning belt on a boat. You see, if it can occur, I tend to find it.

Take care and I appreciate your time to my inquirey.

Alan:)

lan

I have come to conclusion this topic must not be a concerning issue out there. If "bespoke" means the same as "take causion", I'm with you my friend. I may look into a clear poly carbonite design just so I am not the first to experience a bad event with a turning belt on a boat. You see, if it can occur, I tend to find it.

Take care and I appreciate your time to my inquirey.

Alan:)

Alan,

Bespoke = custom built or tailor made to suit individual requirements.

With all the attention being paid to occupational health and safety issues in the workplace, I'm sure it is a major concern on commercial vessels which will filter down to the recreactional market, eventually

Depending on the design and space contsraints in your bilge I would be concerned about upsetting airflows using any sort of "solid" materials. Be careful that you don't restrict or impede the function / effectiveness of your bilge blowers. I think a woven mesh type product would be a better solution.

Good luck

Alan,

Bespoke = custom built or tailor made to suit individual requirements.

With all the attention being paid to occupational health and safety issues in the workplace, I'm sure it is a major concern on commercial vessels which will filter down to the recreactional market, eventually

Depending on the design and space contsraints in your bilge I would be concerned about upsetting airflows using any sort of "solid" materials. Be careful that you don't restrict or impede the function / effectiveness of your bilge blowers. I think a woven mesh type product would be a better solution.

Good luck

Ian:

Thank you for your reply and your clarification of "custom built". I will make note of your worthy mention of design consideration of a belt guard so not to interfere with the engine / bilge compartment blowers relative to air flow.

Best regards.

Alan

I have owned 6+ boats over the years...I tend not to have the engine running when I open the hatch, or in my 282CR, never go down into the engine hatch while it is running. Commercial boats...Ocean going boats have open engines with the cranks of the pistons open as they get oiled that way. Just my two cents worth...

I'm with RSUMRTOY2, I would avoid running the motor with the hatch open. I've been a working on cars for over 25 years, and I take great care to never stick my hand under the hood with a running engine unless absolutely necessary. And even then treat it like sticking my hand in an open crocodile's mouth. Of course, some tasks require it, like checking the automatic transmission fluid level on some cars.

I have seen a brand new $120 serpentine belt snap as soon as the engine was cranked before, and I don't know if anything could have stopped those flying chunks rubber besides a full steel guard, which would also have made changing the belt nearly impossible. I was standing several feet in front the car when the motor was cranked, and luckily outside of the shrapnel zone.

I can't think of many maintenance procedures that require the engine to be running. Unless you are checking the timing, or similar procedure that requires the engine to be running, I would keep the engine off. IMO, the engine bay hatch is the belt guard.

Good luck with your 250CR! A fine boat. I am looking to get one myself one day. :)

Thank you.

Hatchman:

I have taken Ian's, RSUMRTOY2 and your comments with eyes wide open.

In reading the Owner's manual it implies opening the engine compartment, running the the bilge blowers for at least 4 minutes prior to starting

engine(s), this prompted me to write my comment regarding a belt guard. Understanding, protecting one component may create other problems, reasoning this over and giving credit to Mercruiser / Monterey in thinking thought all safety items, I have rested in the thought to simply limit those times needed to have the engine hatch up with the engine running and be causous during recomended start up proceedures as printed in the manual.

I rest this dead horse.

Happy boating to all and fly your colors with pride, mine are: "Red, White and Blue".

Alansmile.gif