My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Big Puma

Vinyl Staining

I recently purchase a 2005 180fs and there are some stains on the seats/sundeck. I have a feeling that they are Maple Leaf stains. I have tried everything to remove the stains but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas or tricks-of-the-trade that I do not know about? Or, do I have to go get some vinyl paint and take care of it that way? Any input will help. Thanks, Kevin

Hello Big Puma,

Here are some suggestions from the vinyl manfacturer to remove specific stains. Maple leaves are not listed but you might try starting with method #2:

Cleaning Tip: To determine the method and type of cleaners, the source of the stain should be identified.

Staining Agents. Baby oil, ketchup, chocolate, motor oil, olive

oil, grape juice, urine, blood, hair oil tonic, tea, coffee and

betadine. Use Method 1.

Staining Agents. Eye shadow, crayon and grease.

Use Method 1. If stains remain, use Method 2.

Staining Agents. Tobacco tar (nicotine), permanent felt tip

marker, yellow mustard, lipstick, ballpoint pen and spray paint.

Use Method 1. If stains remain, use Method 2. For remaining

stubborn stains, use Method 3.

The recommended cleaners used in Cleaning Methods 1, 2 and

3 are progressively more aggressive. Often, it is better to begin

with the least aggressive cleaner and move to the next strongest

only if the stain remains. NEVER EXCEED a staining agent’s

recommended cleaner or cleaning method, however.

Method 1: Use one of the following cleaners with a soft cloth or

damp sponge. Rinse area with fresh water then dry with a clean,

lint-free cloth.

• Formula 409® All-Purpose Spray Cleaner

• Fantastik® Spray Cleaner

Method 2: Use a solvent-type cleaner*, such as rubbing alcohol(isopropyl alcohol). Rinse cleaned area with fresh water then dry with a clean, lint-free cloth.

Method 3: Use a strong, active solvent cleaner* diluted in water(70% water/30% solvent cleaner) such as acetone based nail polish remover (acetone/water). Clean with a soft cloth or damp sponge. Stain should be removed with less than six (6) rubs. If the stain persists after six rubs, the stain has set and probably cannot be removed. Rinse cleaned area with fresh water, then dry with a clean,lint-free cloth.

* CAUTION: Some solvents are highly flammable. Exercise proper care in cleaning and notify personnel in area of danger. Wear rubber gloves during all cleaning activities. Use caution working around buttons, threads/stitching, decorative trim or wood as these solvents can cause damage to those areas.

I had some staining on our white sunpad on the back of a 298ss...the red stain is from the canvas rubbing off on the edge beading and the edge of the seating area. I used 409 and a medium brush and cleaned the whole interior and worked on those red areas a little more. The 409 didn't seem to do much to the red stain, but cleans the grime on everything else well. I then used some Meguiars Lather & Vinyl cleaner and conditioner for boats, just to put some protection on. As I was using it I noticed it was taking off a little dirt as it went. I then worked on the red areas some more and to my surprise it took the majority of it off!! I had to use a little bit on a clean terry cloth towel and rub it in good with a couple of fingers, then add some more on a CLEAN part of the towel...you have to keep turning it to a clean spot. So maybe the 409 softened it up some, I don't know.

Just be careful if you use acetone...it will literally take the paint off of stuff instantly, but dilute it and test it somewhere first.

Thanks for the info guys. I will see what I can do. But, if this does not work, is vinyl paint still an option? And, if it is, how well does it work and which brand(s) work best?

Vinyl paint is GREAT when you are selling and it is in the shade and no one is going to touch/sit etc...on what you have painted! I have seen a few bad jpobs over the years. I am in Automotive and the guy I use will not even touch boat vinyl unless he is reupholstering it, too many problems, peeling flaking etc...sun, heat and water don't mix with vinyl paint.

If you have not tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser yet, please do. They do a good job on most vinyl stains, and are awesome in cleaning up the non skid surfaces on your boat.

I have had great success with Simple Green and a medium brush, followed by rinsing it off with lots of water. For protecting, Aerospace 303 works very well.

For my last boat, the deck was stained from years of neglected cleaning. The dealer said the tried "everything." I used Simple green and a medium brush and with a little elbow grease, all of the stains came out.

As on all cleaners, test on a small area first.