My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Sunrise 298

Shore Power & Batteries 298 SS

My 2005 298 SS has TWO batteries in the engine compartment. Also, has TWO battery on/off switches and an Emergency Start switch located in walkthrough of the transom.

1. When starting the boat the previous owner said to turn them ALL on...even the emergency. Then turn the emergency OFF once the boat was running. I forgot to turn the emergency switch ON once and the starboard motor started fine, the port motor did not have enough juice to crank. Is one of my batteries bad or low...or is this normal?

1.1 Is each battery dedicated to starting it's own engine?

2. Reading the manual, it appears that some boats have 3 batteries...does my 298 ss have a third battery somewhere?? Just thinking toward summer, coving out, burning up the battery on stereo and fridge, want to be prepared!

3. Can I use an adapter on the shore power cord to plug into a regular 120v outlet on my dock?? The previous owner acted like it was bad to keep the shore power plugged in and charging the batteries all the time...this goes against every other think I keep maintained and on trickle chargers!

Thanks for all the help, I'm a new Monterey owner and new to owning a larger Twin engine vessel with all the systems this has.

My 282 CR had two batteries, I added two last year and will add another two for 6 in total this spring. Look at every boat kept in the water at a Marina, 99.9% incliuding me keep the shore power cord plugged in to charge batteries, run the refrigerator and electronics etc....I know the switches you are talking about, I don't know how they are on my 2006 282CR I have never touched them...

Great Boat! Welcome, and have fun!

Hello Sunrise 298,

In response to your question about the battery switch use:

1. When starting the boat the previous owner said to turn them ALL on...even the emergency. Then turn the emergency OFF once the boat was running. I forgot to turn the emergency switch ON once and the starboard motor started fine, the port motor did not have enough juice to crank. Is one of my batteries bad or low...or is this normal?

The answer to this is No- do not use the Emergency switch to start the boat unless it is an emergency. That switch is for when you have run the batteries down so low that you cannot start the boat and you are stuck in a "situation". When you turn that switch on it puts the batteries in parallel, combining their power. If your batteries are low it will help you to start the boat and get home. However, if one of your batteries is completely dead, using the Emergency parallel switch will possibly pull the good battery way down making it impossible to start the boat.

Have your batteries load tested as it sounds like one of them might not be any good.

1.1 Is each battery dedicated to starting it's own engine? -Yes, unless the Emergency switch is in the ON position.

2. Reading the manual, it appears that some boats have 3 batteries...does my 298 ss have a third battery somewhere?? Just thinking toward summer, coving out, burning up the battery on stereo and fridge, want to be prepared!

Not likely, your boat was factory equipped with 2 battery trays. In 2005 the recommended battery size was 24 or 27 (depending on options).

3. Can I use an adapter on the shore power cord to plug into a regular 120v outlet on my dock?? The previous owner acted like it was bad to keep the shore power plugged in and charging the batteries all the time...this goes against every other thing I keep maintained and on trickle chargers!

Just like "RSUMRTOY" said- it is fine to leave the shorepower plugged in and the battery charger on trickle charge. When purchasing batteries for your boat, buy the same type (flooded cell, AGM, flooded/maintenance free, etc) for both of them to make sure they can/will charge at the same voltage rate.

Thanks Guys!

So, can I use an adapter on the shore power cord so I can plug it into a standard 120v outlet on my dock?

I see some boats have actual shore power stations. And the cord has a different plug on it, so I figured something may not be compatible?

It is recommend that you use the proper shore power cord. The gauge of the wire is bigger to handle the load of the boat. A regular extension cord might not be capable of handling the amperage. It could over heat your cord and fry it. If you don't want to buy a new shore power cord, there are a few available on Craigs List and Kijiji.

Thanks Guys!

So, can I use an adapter on the shore power cord so I can plug it into a standard 120v outlet on my dock?

I see some boats have actual shore power stations. And the cord has a different plug on it, so I figured something may not be compatible?

The do make an adapter that'll fit. I use one to plug my shore power cord into my generator when off the grid however...kind of following up on what rsumrtoy2 stated, you also need to make sure you have the proper wireing at your dock. Depending on what you're trying to run (i.e. stove, a/c, micro etc.) you might have issues. Your dock outlet may not have the proper amperage.

As an FYI, I use that same adapter with my shore power cord in the fall and spring when I bring my 282 home to winterize and get ready for summer. It'll charge the batteries and run the micro OK but I don't dare try the stove.

The do make an adapter that'll fit. I use one to plug my shore power cord into my generator when off the grid however...kind of following up on what rsumrtoy2 stated, you also need to make sure you have the proper wireing at your dock. Depending on what you're trying to run (i.e. stove, a/c, micro etc.) you might have issues. Your dock outlet may not have the proper amperage.

As an FYI, I use that same adapter with my shore power cord in the fall and spring when I bring my 282 home to winterize and get ready for summer. It'll charge the batteries and run the micro OK but I don't dare try the stove.

Okay! That's what I was getting at... I have the yellow shore power cord that came with boat. But I wanted to get an adapter for that yellow cord so i can plug it into my dock outlet...which is a standard 110v grounded outlet. I won't be running anything other than the charger...nothing. So it sounds like this should work?

Okay! That's what I was getting at... I have the yellow shore power cord that came with boat. But I wanted to get an adapter for that yellow cord so i can plug it into my dock outlet...which is a standard 110v grounded outlet. I won't be running anything other than the charger...nothing. So it sounds like this should work?

Yes it will. Here's what you're looking for.

My link