My Monterey
GetAway

TV Antenna - where / how to install

I have a 2000 242 CR. I want to add a flat screen TV. Where would I mount or install the antenna? What type of antenna would I need? How is this done on a boat?

I have a 2000 242 CR. I want to add a flat screen TV. Where would I mount or install the antenna? What type of antenna would I need? How is this done on a boat?

Not familiar with your boat but does it have an arch?

If so, you can mount it on top. I just mounted one on our 2001 302CR. I had the luck of the boat having a shore hook up for phone and cable. With no intentions of using a shore cable hook up, I disconnected it in the storage box on the rear and went into the engine compartment and used a connector to join the cable to the antenna.

You should have access ports on the arch to snake the cable down to the engine. From there you will have to snake it to where ever you install the TV. Might be important to think about when you are looking for a position to install the TV. You will not need a converter box if your TV is HD. I receive 33 channels at the dock. You should try and get an antenna with a booster. Some models come with one. I got the Shakespeare 2025 from West Marine and have been happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Boobie Trap

I have a 98, 242. I mounted a 19" lcd above the closet next to the head and drilled thru the wall and tightened the bolts inside the head. worked out perfect. As for the antenna I never really found a good way to mount it so I just stow it until i need it then set in up on the boat dash. I have the phillips panel antenna which works well.

I have a 98, 242. I mounted a 19" lcd above the closet next to the head and drilled thru the wall and tightened the bolts inside the head. worked out perfect. As for the antenna I never really found a good way to mount it so I just stow it until i need it then set in up on the boat dash. I have the phillips panel antenna which works well.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to mount mine on the side of the closet itself. I don't want to drill into the head's wall.

Check with any Monterey Dealer. I had a 2005 250cr with factory installed TV and can't for the life of me remember where the antenna was.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to mount mine on the side of the closet itself. I don't want to drill into the head's wall.

I experimented with that location but found that it was a strain on the neck while laying down in the v berth and would be easy to kick the screen. When I drilled through the head wall I finished the nuts in the head with some white caps and you can hardly notice them. I drilled a hole in the top of the closet to run the wires. From the head you can fish the wires via the window opening and the toilet paper holder to the fuse location under the dashboard.

I experimented with that location but found that it was a strain on the neck while laying down in the v berth and would be easy to kick the screen. When I drilled through the head wall I finished the nuts in the head with some white caps and you can hardly notice them. I drilled a hole in the top of the closet to run the wires. From the head you can fish the wires via the window opening and the toilet paper holder to the fuse location under the dashboard.

I'm too short to be able to kick the screen if laying down in the V-birth, but I didn't think about he neck strain. The "Admiral" doesn't fancy the idea of a TV on-board. She likes this as being "Our GetAway" which is the name of our Monterey.

Thanks for the idea of how to route some wires. I didn't think about going through the toilet paper holder.

How would you route wires from the engine compartment to the port side where the A/C outlet is? I can take the cubby (or what ever it's called) out by removing four screws but getting past the rest of the cabin and under the sink is a different story.

I'm too short to be able to kick the screen if laying down in the V-birth, but I didn't think about he neck strain. The "Admiral" doesn't fancy the idea of a TV on-board. She likes this as being "Our GetAway" which is the name of our Monterey.

Thanks for the idea of how to route some wires. I didn't think about going through the toilet paper holder.

How would you route wires from the engine compartment to the port side where the A/C outlet is? I can take the cubby (or what ever it's called) out by removing four screws but getting past the rest of the cabin and under the sink is a different story.

I ran an additional ac outlet and mounted it inside the closet. I ran the ac wire from the existing outlet and strapped it under the shelf that goes around the v berth to get it to the closet. can't see it at all. Make sure you use marine romex wire. Fiberglass fish tape will help on the wire run along the starboard side behind the head.

This is where I attacted my TV. I attached it to the closet door. I moved the closet opener down about 6" becuase the tv covered it. I also angled the tv silghtly. All the wires are hidden in the closet. The antenna wire runs up to where the cupholder on the drivers seat. I then can attach any antenna and set it on my bimini. The tv is 12V so no inverter is needed. I also attached a hdmi to iphone wire and stream movies from my iphone to the tv at night. Works great.

post-22925-0-32375300-1405431470_thumb.jpg