My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Coco

Looking to Purchase 2002 282CR

I am looking at a used 282CR 2002, Boat looks in good shape. We are on Lake Erie, so it is a fresh water boat with only 260 hours.

Looking for advice on speed of this Boat.

it has @ Merc 4.3 MPI with Bravo III drives. ( 440 HP)

i see most other boats for sale have Merc 5.0 engines.

Lake Erie can get big water most of the time, we are in the Buffalo Area on the down wind side of the lake, 2-3 footers with and 8-10 MPH wind.

How does this boat handle in rough water?

I currently have a 24 foot Maxum Bowrider which we use 80 hours per year, so we are out all the time on the boat.

Any advice is appreciated before I buy it.

I want to make sure it is not underpowered, we still ski and tube with the Kids.

thanks.

Picture of boat from former owner.

post-21539-130230441455_thumb.jpg

We have a 2005 282CR with the Mercruiser 4.3L V6's and BIII drives. The boat handles rougher conditions very well IMO. We boat on lake Michigan and 4 to 6 footers are not uncommon. Although we don't usually go out when it is that rough, but a couple of times we got caught in it, and the boat did great. As far as skiing is concerned, I'm not sure if the 282 with these engines would make an adequate ski boat. Same with the 5.0L engines. It might be possible with the 5.7L engine package, but good luck finding one equipped that way. The boat is just not made to pull a skier, but it could if needed. For most all conditions, the 4.3L V6 power package wil be adequate. It's a cruiser and not a speed boat, so it does what it intended for well. We got 41 mph at WOT with our 282 last season. With bottom paint and a little marine growth, it is about 38 to 39 mph at WOT. Cruises nicely at 3,000 RPM @ 26 mph.

We have the 5.0 B111 and on still water, no wind, 1/2 tank of gas, trimmed up with just my wife and I, on the GPS we got our 2006 282CR 51 mph at WOT. I definitley would not want to ski behind this boat. If you want a ski boat, do as we did and get yourself a Sea Doo 150 Speedster! It makes a GREAT tender for your big boat!

Your Maxum is alot different then the 282 CR you are looking at, LOA is about 31' and the beam is 10', which is a big differenece in handling compared to your 8' beamed Maxum

Thank you for your advice, we likley will not ski on it, but still pull the tubes. We are looking to move up to a cruiser from our sport boat. Cockpit layout is important to us since we can easily have 10 people on our current boat without a problem.

Thanks for your help.

Different boat, but we just picked up a 2005 298 SS (32' LOA) and could not be happier! This boat gives up nothing to Crownline or Formula in my opinion. The quality of construction and fit & finish are top notch! We had ours out two weeks ago in some 25-35mph winds and a little boat traffic building up some 3-4' waves. The ride is extremely solid. My buddy just bought a 2003 302 Monterey cruiser....same thing...awesome boat!