My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Sophie

Ethanol Considerations

With the addition of ethanol to the majority of our refueling stops, and will continue to do so, what do we have to consider. From the research I have done, "Since ethanol-blended fuels attract and hold moisture, ethanol content can contribute to causing corrosion of tank material in aluminum fuel tanks. Corrosion material can clog fuel filters and damage injectors, carburetors, and other fuel system components. Stainless steel and plastic fuel tank materials are not affected by ethanol-blended fuels. However, ethanol-blended fuel can act as a solvent, loosening and washing old deposits or contaminates into the fuel system."(http://www.volvopenta.com).

Hello Sophie,

Also on the engine manufacturer websites are recommendations to protect your systems (specific fuel additives, fuel filters, addtional water seperators, etc.). It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the suggested procedures to protect your engine and follow those recommendations.

www.volvopenta.com or www.mercurymarine.com

With the addition of ethanol to the majority of our refueling stops, and will continue to do so, what do we have to consider. From the research I have done, "Since ethanol-blended fuels attract and hold moisture, ethanol content can contribute to causing corrosion of tank material in aluminum fuel tanks. Corrosion material can clog fuel filters and damage injectors, carburetors, and other fuel system components. Stainless steel and plastic fuel tank materials are not affected by ethanol-blended fuels. However, ethanol-blended fuel can act as a solvent, loosening and washing old deposits or contaminates into the fuel system."(http://www.volvopenta.com).

Volvo's web site says the engine can be run on E10 or 10% ethanol-blend. My boat is a 2000 242 CR. I'm on a trailer. I filled up at a station that had 97 octane and NOT blended with ethanol. I'm in Oregon and this was two weeks ago and I paid $4.30 a gallon for 50 gallons. I'm sure the price has gone up in the past couple of weeks. Most of the fuel docks in my area sell non-blended fuel and you can find it at many of the fuel docks at the coast in both Oregon and Washington.

I have a fuel filter that also has a water filter/area at the bottom of the filter so I can drain any water that might be in the fuel but so far I have not seen any. It's not a bad idea to add a chemical to your fuel that conditions the fuel. It raises the cost per gallon of your fuel but I'd rather pay a little more for the protection than be stuck 5 miles off of the coast with a dead engine.