My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
scifi

2011 280 SCR

Wanting to buy a new 2011 280 SCR with the 6.2 BIII DTS... does anyone have an feedback on this boat? is it enough engine size? any thoughts would be great. I looked at the Chaparral, Sea Ray, Rinker and the Monterey had the best layout for my needs. I currently have a 2008 Yamaha AR230....I love that boat, but looking for something I can spend weekends on. Thank everyone :)

Plenty of power for that boat. But do not expect the speed of your jet boat. Have you piloted a cruiser of this size and weight before ? Some people see the advantage of cabin, sleeping accomodations, and layout in a cruiser when coming from a runabout, and are often shocked when they find out the cruiser is not as nimble, easy on gas, easy to trailer, easy to maintain boat like they had. I would encourage you to take a sea trial before you get too far into the process, to make sure the boat is what you want. Of all the boats in that size and category, the 280 SCR is best in class for sure.

Plenty of power for that boat. But do not expect the speed of your jet boat. Have you piloted a cruiser of this size and weight before ? Some people see the advantage of cabin, sleeping accomodations, and layout in a cruiser when coming from a runabout, and are often shocked when they find out the cruiser is not as nimble, easy on gas, easy to trailer, easy to maintain boat like they had. I would encourage you to take a sea trial before you get too far into the process, to make sure the boat is what you want. Of all the boats in that size and category, the 280 SCR is best in class for sure.

Rip5

Thanks for the reply. No, this will be my first cruiser/boat of this size. I have been in boats (friends) of that size before and liked them, so hopefully the size will not be an issue. Although, as you probably know, the twin jet boat docks completely different than the 280... as I have been told anyway. I have never owned a sterndrive boat. hopefully that will be ok as well. I go on a sea trial in a about a week or so...

scifi

Yes, jet drive boats do not do too well directionally in reverse. Sterndrives are different for sure, but with the Dual Prop, it is much easier in close quarters to handle than the same boat with only a single prop. Our 282CR is our third stern drive boat, and second boat with dual props.

Let us know how the sea trial goes. Good luck !!