My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Jared

Cabin cooling in the South

I have the Montura 248 cuddy and am starting to look into ways to cool it during the hot Georgia summers. I have found 12v evaporative coolers and even a fan that you put over a cooler full of ice but I don't know how effective they will be. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how they stay cool and comfortable during the summer nights? I don't have a safe way to run a generator so I was thinking about getting a battery pack to power the portable air cooler if a decent one exists.

I have seen other forums where folks mentioned a portable A/C unit and a small Honda quiet generator. Does that sound like a viable solution?

I have seen other forums where folks mentioned a portable A/C unit and a small Honda quiet generator. Does that sound like a viable solution?

That might work but looks like Sanford and Sons truck! :lol:

Hello, I would recommend a small real marine AC, there is a company called webasto, They make a 4500-5000 BTU unit that works off 12V, it is a 110 V unit that has a built in inverter. It will run around 5 hours fully on, in 2 group 27 batteries. They work great not only will cool the cabin but should be able to sleep fine. I had a 2600 martinique with a over the latch unit you can get them for 500-600$ all day long. On top of that you will need a 2000 KW quite generator, $1000 so. For that much you can put the real deal and use it underway. The over the hatch unit works great but is somewhat hard to carry, it takes a lot of space on the boat especially on a 24', and not really a secure way to fit it. I hope this help!

http://staging.itrmarine.com/AirConditioners/FeelCoolFastDV.aspx, you can buy the unit WO the inverter and get a cheaper inverter. They supply a REALLY nice XANTRE unit, so i would recommend buying the unit by itself and get yourself a nice inverter. The unit alone and pump should run you arround 1200$ or so!