My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
pcmac

Help!!

I had problems with the spillage at first. The trick for me was to listen to the sound of the gas going in. As soon as the sound changes noticably, you can tell that you are close to full. Stop there and don't try to top off or fill up more. You will still have very close to a full tank and no gas will come out the vent or the filler hole. Good luck.

make sure the fuel tank air vent line is not kinked, that will cause an air pressure buildup as you fill the empty tank with fuel causing it to flow back out the fuel fill neck.

I have the same problem. I found that there are a couple of different sources for a device that you install in the vent line called a "fuel whistle." It works by making a whistling sound as the air escapes through the vent line, and as soon as any fuel gets to it, the whistling sound stops, and then you can stop pumping the fuel. The one I bought at the DC boat show for $20.00 is bigger than the ones I have seen on the web, and it will actually catch some of the fuel before it gets all the way up the vent line for an added layer of protection. I haven't installed mine yet. Maybe some other boaters have some experience with it and can give a better answer. Good luck!

Hey ajpfies, have you installed that fuel whistle yet? Let us know because I'm looking at that same gizmo but want to hear from someone who has 1st-hand experience with it. Thanks.

It didn't work well on the trailer I think because of the angle of the boat, but it worked very well in the water. I used a collar that goes around the fuel nozzle, and kept it pushed up against the deck fill. there was a small amount of fuel that came up into the fill nozzle, but the collar absorbed it and there was no spillage. The key is getting the flow right. You can't just fill it all out, you have to fill at a slow pace. When the whistle stops, it's full.

When I pulled out the fuel nozzle, my gas cap dropped into the water. See my post in the Technical area looking for a new gas cap. Oh well :( .

I took my boat to my dealer after Monterey intervened and talked to them. My dealer was very thorough this time and when they checked the fill tube they said it seemed too long with no drop in it. They cutout some of the tube andwere pretty sure that would take care of it. My tank was full so I haven't fueled it yet but keeping my fingers crossed.