My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Forward Sump Pump Cover

MOST, on my 2006 282CR, the tabs on the cover to the forward sump box are broken. Can you tell me who makes these and what the part number is. Attached is a pic of the sump box.

Sump_Cover.jpg

Many of the sump boxes are made by Attwood. You can get them direct, and they will even ship you only the parts you need.

The whole box is less than $80 with pump. Might be easier to just replace the whole thing. If mine fails or breaks, that is

what I will do.

ELLATTW41414-2T.jpg

One source here.

Attwood Shower Sump

Even Walmart has them. :)

Wally World Sump

This may sound stupid, but since I am new to boating...what is the sump for? I took mine apart and cleaned it all out, it was GROSS! Full of hair etc...and stinking. I notice it sits in it's own compartment in the floor on my 282CR and there is water sitting in the compartment and not in the sump box, is this normal?

Thank you in advance for everyones help!

Many of the sump boxes are made by Attwood. You can get them direct, and they will even ship you only the parts you need.

The whole box is less than $80 with pump. Might be easier to just replace the whole thing. If mine fails or breaks, that is

what I will do.

ELLATTW41414-2T.jpg

One source here.

Attwood Shower Sump

Even Walmart has them. :)

Wally World Sump

Excellent info Rip....THANX. I didn't realize that the box itself was an Attwood. I knew Walmart sold the pumps but not the box. I have an extra pump so I think I'll just contact Attwood and order the cover.

Once again, thank you.

Dan

This may sound stupid, but since I am new to boating...what is the sump for? I took mine apart and cleaned it all out, it was GROSS! Full of hair etc...and stinking. I notice it sits in it's own compartment in the floor on my 282CR and there is water sitting in the compartment and not in the sump box, is this normal?

Thank you in advance for everyones help!

Hi rsumrtoy2,

The sump box (and included floatswitch / pump) is connected to the floor waste in the head.

As the floor of the head is below the waterline, it can't use gravity to drain, so you need the pump to 'push' it back uphill. Depending on the design of a boat, sumpboxes might also drain sink water etc., subject to where their individual waste outlets are in relation to the waterline.

When you use the shower (or put water on the floor of the head) it drains into the sump box. Once it starts to fill, it actuates the float switch and pumps out the water.

This would explain why it was full of hair.

If you didn't have a sump box, you would have to drain into the hull and rely upon the midsection bilge pump to remove shower water. As you have already discovered, shower water contains hair and the last thing you want is a bilge pump clogged with hair if you need it in an emergency.

The sump box also concentrates the volume of shower water into a smaller confined space so the pump works more effectively rather than having it roll around beneath your cabin floor until there was enough of it to actuate the mid cabin bilge pump.

If you look at the design of most bilge pumps, they generally never pump out the last 1/4" to 1/2" of water, so using a sump box makes sense. Keeping a 1/4" - 1/2" of water in the sump is a LOT less than keeping 1/4" - 1/2" of water over the whole area of your mid cabin bilge (this is a simplifed explanation. In fact recreactional hulls are generally sloped from bow to stern so any water will tend to migrate towards the rear of the vessell. This also helps designers decide location of bilge pumps)

As for your comment about water on the floor, this is NOT normal.

In theory, if your sumpbox floatswitch or pump is blocked (or malfunctioning), the sumpbox will fill and then overflow back up the inlet hose and back into your head floor indicating you have a problem. Depending upon the quality of the sumpbox, age of seal, pentrations made for wiring etc., sumpboxes can and do overflow into the mid cabin bilge. At this point, the emergency bilge pump will drain this overflow but remembering my 1/4" comments above, it will take a long time to get to that point AND it will never fully drain anyway.

This is the most likely scenario as to why you have water on the floor around the sumpbox.

Another likely cause is that someone has forgotten to operate the 12 volt sump breaker when taking a shower and the sumpbox overflowing / leaking

There maybe other causes for water in your cabin bilge. I recently had a freshwater plumbing fitting crack and leak the entire contents of my freshwater tank into the cabin bilge. The bilge pump did its job but it took hours to get that last 1/4" - 1/2" of water out (with an old soda can as a bailer and then a hand wrung chamois).

Other causes might include split hoses, broken hose clamps (thats why good designers always 'double clamp' hoses at fittings), malfuctioning airconditioning pumps, drains etc. If it was one of these, you would notice your midcabin bilge working a lot of time

Finally, you should always check operation of pumps and floatswitches REGULARLY. It should be a part of your maintenance schedule (and if you are like me, you can see how much hair you are actually losing as the years advance - lol)

Regards

Ian

Dan, What is the hose from on top of sump box.

It's from the galley and head sink drain.

Thank you very much for all the helpfull information! I will check all the connections and the sump box itself far any leaks!

Timely topic! Too funny. My 298SS is doing the exact same thing, backing up on the shower floor! I know exactly what to look for now. Thanks for all the knowledge sharing!

Dan, got mine fixed! The float switch was bad. Interesting though, my sump box is slightly different, no latches or tabs to keep it closed...has 6 screws in the lid.

Anyway, to get to the pump with enough room to work, I had to take off one of the interior carpeted panels. In doing so, I discovered the holy grail of wiring access!! My 298 SS is an open bow with a small sleeping cabin on one side, head/shower on the other side, walkway in the middle. Wiring access, getting from the port to starboard side, was a head scratcher! I was able to fish a 3.5mm wire to the helm to have my iPod hook up where I can actually use it! God knows what a can of worms I've opened up now...considering adding my OWN amps & speakers/subs. And of course the underwater lights. :rolleyes: I already changed out all the court lights and the arch lights to the "natural white" LED's. Looks super nice.

Sunrise 298

Check out the under water leds on the post below this. I will get my leds on Monday and planning on installing them Thursday. I will take and post pics!

This got me thinking...I have a 243 BR and I know (think) I have one. I think it is between the 2 floor lockers. My question is how do I access it? I know it works, but it seems to pump bilge water too.

Sunrise 298

Check out the under water leds on the post below this. I will get my leds on Monday and planning on installing them Thursday. I will take and post pics!

Cool! Looking forward to it! Thanks for doing that!