My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Not paying attention

In haste this weekend to get under way and not paying attention, when turning on main DC breaker and all the DC breakers which included the head system I also turned on the macerator breaker. Given I have an AccuFlush systen, closed fresh water supplied with holding tank approximately 1/4 full at the time, what did I do if any damage and what should I do if any thing, as a result of my erro?

I have a 2006 250 CR and the macerator ran for about 1 minute until I realised what I had done.

Positive comments appreciated.

In haste this weekend to get under way and not paying attention, when turning on main DC breaker and all the DC breakers which included the head system I also turned on the macerator breaker. Given I have an AccuFlush systen, closed fresh water supplied with holding tank approximately 1/4 full at the time, what did I do if any damage and what should I do if any thing, as a result of my erro?

I have a 2006 250 CR and the macerator ran for about 1 minute until I realised what I had done.

Positive comments appreciated.

I don't have a 250 so can't comment specifically

In my 330 there is breaker at the main electrical panel AND a separate switch to actually operate the macerator which is located inside the head adjacent to the holding tank monitor. So just because you operated the breaker, it doesn't necessarily mean yr pump was running.

Simple way is try it again - this time with your seacock open and Y valve switched over (if fitted?). If it starts to empty your holding tank, then no problems. If it doesn't, well..... macerator pumps aren't that expensive.

You should only do this where it is legal to dump

I don't have a 250 so can't comment specifically

In my 330 there is breaker at the main electrical panel AND a separate switch to actually operate the macerator which is located inside the head adjacent to the holding tank monitor. So just because you operated the breaker, it doesn't necessarily mean yr pump was running.

Simple way is try it again - this time with your seacock open and Y valve switched over (if fitted?). If it starts to empty your holding tank, then no problems. If it doesn't, well..... macerator pumps aren't that expensive.

You should only do this where it is legal to dump

Hello Ian:

I guess my question would be, you only want to turn on the macerator breaker when you need to pump out legally? In saying this it would appear I have done nothing wrong to the equipment and when it is time to pump out legally, is when I need to see if the pump actually pumps to the location depending upon the "Y" valve selection. Also, the pump did run, I heard it and realized what it was. Hey Ian, is it your understanding of how the black water system works is, black water from the head pumps to the macerator tank and then into the holding tank or into the holding tank and to the macerator tank?

I appreciate your time responding to my blogs.

Thank you and happy boating,

Alan

Hello Ian:

I guess my question would be, you only want to turn on the macerator breaker when you need to pump out legally? In saying this it would appear I have done nothing wrong to the equipment and when it is time to pump out legally, is when I need to see if the pump actually pumps to the location depending upon the "Y" valve selection. Also, the pump did run, I heard it and realized what it was. Hey Ian, is it your understanding of how the black water system works is, black water from the head pumps to the macerator tank and then into the holding tank or into the holding tank and to the macerator tank?

I appreciate your time responding to my blogs.

Thank you and happy boating,

Alan

Hi Alan

Yes, you should only use the breaker for the macerator when you want to pump out (legally)

The macerator is not used when you use a dockside pump out station (a bit of a misnomer really as these actually use suction to empty your holding tank)

Have a look at the your Monterey owners manual (pdf download available from elsewhere in the forums). Page 162 has a generic diagram of your macerator / head system

As far as I understand, there is no macerator tank.

In the Vacuflush systems, there is a vacuum pump that creates the sucking pressure to empty the head when flushed. It then discharges the waste into the holding tank

The Y-valve normally is set to dockside pumpout. When you use the macerator to pump out the holding tank, you need to open the seacoack and changeover the Y-valve

The macerator is a simple "in-line" pump with a chopping blade attached. The manufacturer state you shouldn't dry run these but I don't think a minute or so would worry the pump too much, but i guess this depends on age of seals, previous usage, what previous owners did etc.

The generic diagram also has a direct discharge from the head to the hull. This was common in older boats/systems before pollution standards where introduced. It doesn't apply to the vacuflush systems.

Different systems apply to different states. I believe boats in CA arent even allowed to discharge used water from your sink directly overboard and must also drain into your holding tank.

When it comes to specific model issues, it is better to have another owner with the same model comment.

For example, my 330 has a second macerator switch. Your 250 doesn't. I would hate to think someone was running around for 2hours looking for something that doesn't exist.

But i am always glad to help out where i can

Cheers