My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
seanfitz

Engine Stalling

I own a 2001 282 CR and have had a continual problem with one of my engines stalling out at low speed. I haven't had any issues with the engine while getting up on plane or while the boat is cruising. However, when I am attempting to dock, the engine will stall. It will start up again immediately but this stall can happen several times. Can anyone provide any insight into what may cause this problem? It only occurs when I am attempting to dock after I have been cruising for awhile.

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed, the spark plugs changed, timing (if not mpi) and fuel pressure measured. Any of these could cause the stalling at low speed as you describe.

Had a similar issue with my 5.0 MPI. Cause was a bad idle air control valve. Part for my engine was a two wire valve made by Ford. Exact equivalent was same for a 2002 Ford Windstar. Took about 10 minutes to replace.

I own a 2001 282 CR and have had a continual problem with one of my engines stalling out at low speed. I haven't had any issues with the engine while getting up on plane or while the boat is cruising. However, when I am attempting to dock, the engine will stall. It will start up again immediately but this stall can happen several times. Can anyone provide any insight into what may cause this problem? It only occurs when I am attempting to dock after I have been cruising for awhile.

I am willing to bet that your problem could be a dirty flame arrester/carb filter. It could be that your engine is starved for air. If you have been getting bad gas mileage this could also be the problem.

It is amazing how much particulate gets into the flame arresters from standard wear of the engine belts.

Mike