My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
The Revenge

Shower sump wiring for 302

Hanging out on my 302 last week when the forward bilge pump came on. The shower sump was full and poured some water in the forward bilge. The shower pump was hot and the breaker in the engine room tripped. I left it off. Bought a new shower sump pump today. What is the best way to get at the wires running from the sump pump to change this thing. The hole I'm working in is very small. It's where the waist basket is under the top step. I can't tell where the wires run to. I'm not real keen on just snipping them at the pump.

Thanks in advance.

2006 302.

Since the old one is toast, just snip them from the old one as close to the old unit as possible...then you have some extra wire to work with and wire up the new one. I just replaced the float switch in mine a few weeks ago. There is usually nothing fun or easy about working on bilge pumps because of the tight quarters.

Sorry, I don't have a 302 so can't comment on the specific model.

There will be a plug at the end of the wires from your sump pump/float switch assembly. It would be very unusal for this to be more than 12" away. This plug connects to a socket at the boats wiring harness.

Best solution which has already been suggested is to snip wires as close as possible to the old pump and reconnect to the new pump.

For added piece of mind, you can solder the new connections and it will be as good as the original