My Monterey
glaplant

Windlass/Anchor issues

I hope someone can help! I have a 298SC and there is no electrical power at the Windlass/Anchor. The boat has a reset button by the battery switches and I have power too and from that button. Could there be some sort of relay between that reset button and the Windlass? This is a great boat and it would be even better if I can get to the bottom of this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

I hope someone can help! I have a 298SC and there is no electrical power at the Windlass/Anchor. The boat has a reset button by the battery switches and I have power too and from that button. Could there be some sort of relay between that reset button and the Windlass? This is a great boat and it would be even better if I can get to the bottom of this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

I don't have a 298 but here a few comments.

You say you have power at both sides of the reset button.

Do you also have power at the terminal on the windlass?

Was it factory fitted or aftermarket?

What do you mean by "button"?

There are usually 2 parts to a windlass circuit breaker. A "button" and a "lever". The button is a trip system to stop power. The lever is the actual part that operates the circuit breaker has to be pushed up and hidden from view for it to operate correctly. Sometimes these need a lot of effort to reset

Most windlasses use 2 circuits

1 = the main power to the windlass motor. These are usually quite thick cables. The +ve cable is connected to the circuit breaker mounted at your battery switch panel

2 = the control power from the helm switch. This power usually operates a solenoid (either internal or external depending on the brand / model of the windlass). These are usually thinner cables and may number upto 3 cables (or more if you also have deck mounted foot switches fitted)

Depending on your set up, there maybe a circuit breaker in the "control wiring". This will usually only be a 5amp or 10amp. In the 298 factory fitted option there is usually a push button covered in rubber fixed above the rocker switch to operate the windlass.

Finally, it is also possible the power wiring and the control power come from different batteries and it may be possible you need both your battery switches in the 'on' position. (I learnt this the hard way. Manually lifting 50' of anchor chain is hard work)

Hope this helps some

Hi,

I don't have a 298 but here a few comments.

You say you have power at both sides of the reset button.

Do you also have power at the terminal on the windlass?

Was it factory fitted or aftermarket?

What do you mean by "button"?

There are usually 2 parts to a windlass circuit breaker. A "button" and a "lever". The button is a trip system to stop power. The lever is the actual part that operates the circuit breaker has to be pushed up and hidden from view for it to operate correctly. Sometimes these need a lot of effort to reset

Most windlasses use 2 circuits

1 = the main power to the windlass motor. These are usually quite thick cables. The +ve cable is connected to the circuit breaker mounted at your battery switch panel

2 = the control power from the helm switch. This power usually operates a solenoid (either internal or external depending on the brand / model of the windlass). These are usually thinner cables and may number upto 3 cables (or more if you also have deck mounted foot switches fitted)

Depending on your set up, there maybe a circuit breaker in the "control wiring". This will usually only be a 5amp or 10amp. In the 298 factory fitted option there is usually a push button covered in rubber fixed above the rocker switch to operate the windlass.

Finally, it is also possible the power wiring and the control power come from different batteries and it may be possible you need both your battery switches in the 'on' position. (I learnt this the hard way. Manually lifting 50' of anchor chain is hard work)

Hope this helps some

This is great and thank You for your help! I think it is a factory installed unit and there is no power at the terminal of the Windlass. It does not have any foot controls either. I did not realize that the Red button at the Battery switch area was a trip system. I will take another look at it when I get back to the lake and let you know. I really aprreciate it.

This is great and thank You for your help! I think it is a factory installed unit and there is no power at the terminal of the Windlass. It does not have any foot controls either. I did not realize that the Red button at the Battery switch area was a trip system. I will take another look at it when I get back to the lake and let you know. I really aprreciate it.

Here is an image of a typical windlass breaker, similar to the one in my 330SY

Regards

typical windlass breaker.pdf

glaplant

Do you have more than one set of control switch(s) for the windlass? It is possible your circuit has fuses along the circuit path which may have burned. Isolate (if you can) where the power ends and you will have narrowed down the problem area. My 250 Cr has one control at the helm with in line fuse holders in the anchor locker just before the windlass.

Good luck.

Alan