My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
CSea

2002 322 Port List

Hello! I have a 2002 322 Monterey with 300hours on it. Boat has ALWAYS ran great and never any problems. However, a couple weeks ago, I was involved in an unfortunate accident while anchored where a Jet Ski collided into my Starboard side, dead center between my registration numbers and water line at around 35-40MPH. By the grace of God, the Jet Skier survived and is recovering. Shortly after the accident, I noticed the boat listing about 2 inches to the PORT SIDE. Visable damages to the outside are a cracked hull where I was hit and then another structual crack on the inside under the V-BERTH, starboard side at the bulk head stringer joint. There is NO apparent water coming into the boat at all, at least from what I can see from looking under the V-BERTH, the Cabin bilge area or engine compartment. My question, with this type of structual damage could this be causing the boat to List to the PORT SIDE, about two inches or so? The listing occurs on a FULL or EMPTY Water tank, both fuel tanks are at half full. I usually keep ALL tanks full and have NEVER had an issue with listing whatsoever. I have talked to the fiberglass repair people and they said, its weight, nothing more, nothing less and the boat is designed this way...I am sure that is NOT the case, since the problem never existed BEFORE the accident. Any information on where I can look for water or if a bulk head/stringer joint would cause this would be greatly appreciated. Can this be repaired? My fiberglass people tell me these repairs are no big deal, but I am concerned about their knowledge and the integrity of the hull overall. Do you have suggestions of where else I could look for water, if any?

Hello CSea,

It is unfortunate to hear that your Cruiser has been damaged. Glad to hear the driver of the jet ski will recover. So often that is not the case.

You need a certified Marine Surveyor (or have your insurance company provide one) to assess the boat. It has to be taking water on somewhere- or a component has shifted or loosened from the impact of the jet ski causing an unbalanced weight on the boat. It takes a huge hit on the hull side to cause a structural crack under the V Berth bulkhead.

It would be a good idea to have the boat hauled out of the water and seek immediate professional assessment of the damages.