My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
AFFD

298 SC purchase advise please

Hello, I am considering buying a 2006 298 SC, but I have no experience with Monterey being a Searay customer.

I'd like to know how long the 298SC was in production and how many were made, how popular it was?

It looks like there is no direct replacment, so does that suggest something.

If you have one how is it, reliable, ride, how does it handle a bit of rough?

Is it well built.

What's the economy like, the one I am looking at has twin 350Mag.

Overall I like the layout, plenty of outside deck space so it looks good.

Any advise appreciated, oh what sort of price were they new I can't find that anywhere.

Cheers

Andrew

Can't help with the SC...but I own a 2005 298 SS. I bought it used about a year ago. I can tell you this, I've climbed all over, inside and out, on mine doing a stereo install and other stuff. The boat is VERY well made! There just isn't really much if any exposed marine plywood like I've seen in other boats, everything is fiberglass wrapped, quality fasteners, overkill on a lot of parts. My SC will get up and go for the size of boat, well into the 58 mph range. The cuddy will be heavier and not as fast, but honestly it's not really comfortable at those speeds, 45 feels great when water is smooth. We boat at Lake of the Ozarks and it's rough...I mean REALLY rough (unless you've boated here on a busy weekend you cannot comprehend the washing machine effect). I can put the tabs down and run 30-35 and just let it eat. I'm glad I didn't buy any less boat.

BUY THE BOAt!!

I have a 2005 298SC. I have also owned several Sea Rays. The Monterey is every bit as good. The board rides great and is easy to keep up. Mine still looks and runs new even though it will be 8 years old. The replacement is a little bigger but this boat model was in production for at least 8 pr 9 years I believe. Go for it you will not regret it! Good luck !!

Anyone know anything about a 1990 SSC2700? I just bought one....it is a beauty as far as I can tell...the layout in the cabin is amazingly spacious and it looks like it has been well cared for....

Anyone know where I can get SPECS? Waiting for Monterey to advise but today is Boxing day so...closed of course....

I hope the Montereys were as good back in the 1990 range as they are today on their web site.

Tell me anything you know pls.

thks

Tim