My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
oumills

Tech Question

I know my questions will be silly to some, but to give you some background I moved from a 240 Sea Ray Sundeck. The systems are not quite as elaborate as they are on the 298SC we just bought. I'm back tonight from my maiden voyage and I have a couple of questions. They are:

1. When I got back to the slip, I put on the shore power and was just sitting there listening to the radio, I could hear a humming coming from the engine compartment. I decided after a process of elimination that it must be some sort of 12V regulator. Does that sound right?
  2. The water pump on the vau-flush system seem to kick on and off. It may just be low on water, but could something else make the water pump surge on and off? I didn't spend anytime checking it out, I just turned it off at the breaker panel. It just sounded like it was low on water so I'll fill it later, but since I'm asking questions I'll go ahead and throw that one out here.
  3. Lastly, all of the gauges seem to be a tad irratic at times. In my experience when gauges do that it has been a ground wire. My gauges are bouncing just a little, but seem to work ok with a tap on the glass. Any suggestions? Pull the panel and hit them with some contact cleaner?

I know these are probably silly questions, but all this is new territory for me and just trying to learn as much as I can. Would love to hear what you tech guys say.

Thanks in advance.

I've now spent some more time on the boat and was able to answer (at least get a better idea) of the problems I was asking about below.

1. Figured it out.
  2. It was the vacum pump generator. What is an appropriate amount of time between cycles considering no flushes? I think there might be a leak somewhere?
  3. Fuel gauge still jumps and appears to be electrical - not just fuel sloshing around.
Thanks!

LM

I have the SS but I believe it has the same holding tank. We too kept hearing the vacuum pump cycling all night. I found the big nut on top of the tank to be loose. Worth a quick check.

2. It was the vacum pump generator. What is an appropriate amount of time between cycles considering no flushes? I think there might be a leak somewhere?

The pump should not be cycling without use and it sounds like there is a leak. The likely culprit is the seal inside the bowl itself. That is where a leak develops most often in all head systems. Give the seal a good cleaning (Sealand has a specific seal cleaning kit available through West Marine) and see if it stops.

Do not use a household bowl cleaner in your marine head, almost all of them are caustic and will ruin your rubber seals/components in your head.

Also check the nut "298SS Guy" mentioned in his message (that was good).

The pump should not be cycling without use and it sounds like there is a leak. The likely culprit is the seal inside the bowl itself. That is where a leak develops most often in all head systems. Give the seal a good cleaning (Sealand has a specific seal cleaning kit available through West Marine) and see if it stops.

Do not use a household bowl cleaner in your marine head, almost all of them are caustic and will ruin your rubber seals/components in your head.

Also check the nut "298SS Guy" mentioned in his message (that was good).

THANKS!!!! I'll check both of those and report back