My Monterey
deere444081

pull up cleats

I just purchased a 2005 248ls that has standard cleats and I want to replace them with pull up cleats. I want to know what kind, style, and size were put on a 248 at the factory. And what kind of problems I might have drilling the holes for different cleats as they might overlap the holes already in the boat. Also wiil the pull up cleats cover the old holes. If anyone can help me it would be great.

Hi deere444081,

I am not familiar with your model boat and the equipment installed during manufacturing. However, I recently experience what you are trying to accomplish by upgrading all of my 1999 242 CR with pull up cleats. After many hours of decision making agony, I settled for Attwood neat cleat. I believe they are by far the best cleat in the market (expensive though). Something to consider is where the cleats are located. They need room below the deck so they can be fastened and drain. If placed in the cabin area, they will protrude below decks and you may not like it. In fact, I did not like how the nut and studs looked on my project, so I worked around the issue by covering them with an idea.

In regards to the holes from the old cleat set up goes, I mixed resin with coloring agent to match the color as close as possible, filled the holes, waited to harden, sanded, wet sanded, buffed, and done. Once that process was done, I installed the new cleats in the same location as the old ones so it would cover most of the repair section where the old holes were. The end product looks good and I am happy with the looks.

I will try to load pics to show the work. Good luck with your project and happy boating.

thanks for the reply to my problem. since my first post i've been looking at gem brand cleats and they have a wide model that should cover the old holes. anybody know if gems are any good

Gemlux is the supplier to Monterey Boats of their stainless products. It states in the owners manual of the

Sport Boats how to clean Gemlux stainless parts on your boat. So, yes I would say they are good products. ;)

http://www.gemlux.com/catalog2010/cleats

I have a monetary 250cr I went down to check the boat and my two pop up cleats were gone? I think they were pulled out of the sockets any suggestions please