My Monterey
Lake Mead Monster

Isolator bushing installation on original fuse/relay box

I own a 2004 298 SC with twin Volvo 5.7 GXI-F engines. Port engine would not turn over and mechanic found the fuse/relay box on the top of engine failing (entire box, not just a fuse or relay). It appears those particular fuse/relay boxes have issues and it could be due to vibration. Parts Bulletin P-37-2 (http://www.iboats.com/volvo_penta/P-37-2-2_EN.pdf) has service kit 3808318 to replace the original box and add isolator bushings to help with vibration.

This will fix my port engine but can I add the same isolator bushings to the old original fuse/relay box on my starboard engine to help manage vibration and potentially extend its life? My mechanic is not 100% sure if the new parts will work on the older boxes as the new ones are different according to him. Does someone know if the new parts I have listed below will fit the old/original fuse/relay box?

Stud #3809480 (These are probably longer studs than original to accommodate the two grommets)

Isolator bushing/grommet #3809528

Washer #940275

Nut #3809530

Thanks in advance for your help.

Perhaps a call to Volvo with your engine serial numbers, and the part numbers listed, would get you an answer?

Volvo Penta would prefer that you go through a dealer, but sometimes with due diligence, you can get through to someone at VP who can answer your questions. We are a supplier to VP North America and VP Sweden where I work. I do not have any personal contacts at corporate, but I will ask sales here if they can point me in the right direction, and let you know if I can help. For now here are a couple of links that may help.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/parts_service/Pages/parts_and_service.aspx

Or write your question here.

Volvo Penta of the Americas, Inc.

Consumer Relations Support

1300 Volvo Penta Drive

Chesapeake, VA 23320

Good Luck !!