My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
DC Dave

Windlass Helm control but no Windlass??

I took ownership of a 2000 Monterey 262 about 5 days ago. Silly me, I assumed it had a windlass, but failed to actually open the anchor locker and check. Apparently it doesn't have a windlass? Why would the boat have fuses and a windlass switch at the helm if the actual windlass wasn't installed? Am I crazy? Or is the windlass hidden or something? Why put the switch and wiring and not the hardware?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Dave

I took ownership of a 2000 Monterey 262 about 5 days ago. Silly me, I assumed it had a windlass, but failed to actually open the anchor locker and check. Apparently it doesn't have a windlass? Why would the boat have fuses and a windlass switch at the helm if the actual windlass wasn't installed? Am I crazy? Or is the windlass hidden or something? Why put the switch and wiring and not the hardware?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Dave

Dave, I just purchased a 260SCR. It was "pre-wired" for the windlass and I had to add the actual windlass as an extra. I imagine that is what you have. The good news is you can add it without having to do all the wiring. The bad news is that are pretty pricey.

Tom

For manufacturing simplicity...that is the answer to your question. It is for the same reason boats are wired and have switches and labels for generators but not installed etc...The first clue that the boat had no windlass is the lack of the "motor/winch" on top...I bet you will find a wiring harness, now all you have to do is get the model # from M.O.S.T. for the windlass that could have been ordered....Good Luck!

The Windlass was an option on your boat. Most builders pre-wire their boats, so if the option is ordered, all the wires, switches and connections are already installed. If you do decide to add a windlass, you will be very greatful that Monterey did the wiring for you. It is not a pleasant task to install everything from scratch.

Dave,

I have a 2002, 262. I called Monterey for the make and model for a Windless, they advised me to purchase a Lewmar 600 because the 500 was underpowered. Well, Lewmar does not make a 600 but they do have a 550 pro sport, which I purchased. The great news is, all the wiring is there (including the relay)! I was dreding the job until I found the wires.

Note that you will need to go online for the "other/older" Lewmar spec install for the toggle switch.

The only thing I can think of ref your lack of windless is: it was either removed (check to see if you have any holes where the actual windless would sit in the locker) or the dealer did not install.

Thankfully Monterey did the wiring - like the posts mention above I AM greatful they did.