My Monterey
calmond

5.7 Gxi fuel pump whine

Hello,

I have a 322 with two Volvo 5.7 Gxi motors. My port motor develops a high pitch whine in the fuel pump assembly after it has been running for about 20 minutes. Has anyone heard this same noise and is it signaling my pump is about to go out?

It's normal for the fuel pumps to whine. It is a high pitch whine that does not change pitch under load. If the pitch of the whine fluctuates, that is a sign the pump is going out.

If the pitch of the whine fluctuates, that is a sign the pump is going out.

ThanX! Now I just have to get back out on the water!

On the engine that has the high pitch touch the hight pressure side and if its getting hot the pump is defective. I have a 322 2001 and one of my engines developed the same issue and the pump got hot after 20 minutes running and it had a pitch. I was going to just replaced the high side but was adviced to replace the complete unit. 90 percent of the owners tha just replace the high side develop the same issue due to the low pressure side being contaminated and if this happens you will be spending $150.00 to 250.00 the first time for the high pressure side and then you will need to replace the complete pump adding another 700.00 to 900 dollars to the cost. Just replace the complete pump the first time and save yourself the 150.00 to 250.00. Most suppliers or mechanics will sell you the complete pump for between 850.00 to 950.00 dollars plus installation. I bought mine from this outfit for 720.00 plus free shipping and its very easy to install. Talk to them good luck--Thank you,

Evan Olson

Marine Parts Express

www.marinepartsexpress.com

Toll Free: (877) 621-2628

International: (207) 882-6165

Ext. 700

Fax (207) 882-9865

Our blog: http://marinepartsexpress.wordpress.com/