My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
oumills

Engine Coupling Lubrication

For the MOST

I'm looking at my maintenance schedule on the Volvo 5.7GXI with the DP-S outdrives (on a 298 SC) and I have a question about one of the line items. I follow all of the requirements for the 100hr or annual schedule, but they're calling for lubrication of the engine coupling (not talking the gimble bearing). If I'm not mistaken, (and according to the shop manual) you have to pull the drives to do this. What's the point in this and how important is it just to grease the splines? Maybe I've completely missed something, but would like to understand.

For the MOST

I'm looking at my maintenance schedule on the Volvo 5.7GXI with the DP-S outdrives (on a 298 SC) and I have a question about one of the line items. I follow all of the requirements for the 100hr or annual schedule, but they're calling for lubrication of the engine coupling (not talking the gimble bearing). If I'm not mistaken, (and according to the shop manual) you have to pull the drives to do this. What's the point in this and how important is it just to grease the splines? Maybe I've completely missed something, but would like to understand.

Typically on the drive shaft from engine to outdrive, you have 3 grease points. Gimble bearing, universal joints and coupler. Gimble is greased from outside stern of boat, universals require drive to be pulled and the coupler grease fittings are found behind the engine near the transom where the drive shaft meets the engine. Some have 1 grease fitting and some have two grease fittings. The coupler grease fittings can be the hardest to find sometimes depending on a boats access to the engine compartment. Alll are very important to grease, specially the coupler because if it goes, your pulling the motor. Universals and gimbles can be repaired by removing the outdrive.

Hope that helps!

Typically on the drive shaft from engine to outdrive, you have 3 grease points. Gimble bearing, universal joints and coupler. Gimble is greased from outside stern of boat, universals require drive to be pulled and the coupler grease fittings are found behind the engine near the transom where the drive shaft meets the engine. Some have 1 grease fitting and some have two grease fittings. The coupler grease fittings can be the hardest to find sometimes depending on a boats access to the engine compartment. Alll are very important to grease, specially the coupler because if it goes, your pulling the motor. Universals and gimbles can be repaired by removing the outdrive.

Hope that helps!

Yes. That's good information. Thanks.