My Monterey
Gilbert

268 SC with a 300HP ?

Hi folks,

I am contemplating putting an offer on a brand new 2006 268 SC which has a Merc 350MAG BIII (300HP); it is the smallest motor available with this model and am worried it might be slightly underpowered; will it be sluggish to get on plane the minute you have a few extra bodies on board ?

I've often heard that if you don't have enough HP, the motor is always working hard and consumes more gas .... in other words better to have more HP than not enough?

I love the design & layout of the Montery 268SC but really hesitating on the 300HP.

Any thoughts ...... would be greatly appreciated !

Hi folks,

I am contemplating putting an offer on a brand new 2006 268 SC which has a Merc 350MAG BIII (300HP); it is the smallest motor available with this model and am worried it might be slightly underpowered; will it be sluggish to get on plane the minute you have a few extra bodies on board ?

I've often heard that if you don't have enough HP, the motor is always working hard and consumes more gas .... in other words better to have more HP than not enough?

I love the design & layout of the Montery 268SC but really hesitating on the 300HP.

Any thoughts ...... would be greatly appreciated !

I had a 248 witht that same engine - If I were you I wouldn't buy that boat with anything less than a 425Hp engine.

Shep

For a person that doesn't care about top end and just wants to sunday drive, it would be fine. Propping it down to offbalance the lack of power would help that motor with loads but top end is sacrificed. Since your asking these questions right up front, you have interest in torque and comfortable feel of a motor moving that much weight.

I agree.... Go with the big block and you will be happier, plus resale won't be an issue..... It's a great layout for a 26' boat!!! I was very impressed with what Monterey did to that boat.