My Monterey
Artemus

1998 Monterey 322 Windlass Anchor

Hey folks,

Our 98 322 has a Horizon 500 windless anchor. I have used it a number of times this summer, and have come to the conclusion that it is too small and not powerful enough for this size of boat. I need to replace it with a bigger one with more power. Can anyone tell me what unit they have in their 322 Monterey or similar size boat? Looks like I will have to change the wiring and the breaker as well, as it is currently only rated at 25 amps. Running new cables should be lots of fun! smile.gif

Thanks for your help!

Hey folks,

Our 98 322 has a Horizon 500 windless anchor. I have used it a number of times this summer, and have come to the conclusion that it is too small and not powerful enough for this size of boat. I need to replace it with a bigger one with more power. Can anyone tell me what unit they have in their 322 Monterey or similar size boat? Looks like I will have to change the wiring and the breaker as well, as it is currently only rated at 25 amps. Running new cables should be lots of fun! smile.gif

Thanks for your help!

Our 1995 296 has a Lewmar 700 windlass and it works great. We have a dedicated battery and 50 amp breaker. Never had a problem with this setup. When pulling up the anchor I just put the boat in forward motion for about 2 seconds then hit the up switch on the windlass and it pulls the boat without effort to the anchor. We changed the wire to the anchor locker using std. battery calble. It's expensive to do this but eleminates to possiblity of overheating the wiring.

Our 1995 296 has a Lewmar 700 windlass and it works great. We have a dedicated battery and 50 amp breaker. Never had a problem with this setup. When pulling up the anchor I just put the boat in forward motion for about 2 seconds then hit the up switch on the windlass and it pulls the boat without effort to the anchor. We changed the wire to the anchor locker using std. battery calble. It's expensive to do this but eleminates to possiblity of overheating the wiring.

I just finished removing the Horizon 500, and installing a Lewmar 1000 windlass anchor, with 2 foot switches in the bow, and a 70 amp breaker. I had to run all new wiring from the engine compartment all the way to the bow. What a job that was!...

Now I just need spring to arrive, so I can launch the boat and test it out. :)