My Monterey
Sophie

To MOST: Adding a U Bolt to Arch to Raise Dinghy

I have a dinghy attached to the swim platform of a 2008 290 by a Weaver arch davit system, a weaver lever on the dinghy and a 60 lb motor. Total weight is less than 200 lbs. To make it easier to lift the dinghy out of the water to vertical, I want to add a U bolt to the underside of the arch then run a detachable 4:1 pulley system. The reason for utilizing the arch is that it gives a better angle to raise the dinghy and decrease resistance. Will the arch support the pull? Any suggestions as to reinforcing the U bolt.?

Other suggestions welcomed.

Sounds to me like that should work just fine. You might want to double check that all of the fasteners holding the arch in position are indeed in place, and are secure. Perhaps just a simple rope around the top of the arch, would be better than drilling holes and installing a U-bolt.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider this. Seems a great way to distribute the load

The challenge with looping around the arch is that I could not have the Bimini tops up. Also the canvass tracks would get damaged as they would bear the load. This is where installing a u bolt on the underside is more convenient. I am concerned first that the arch will bear the load and secondly, is there a way to install the bolt and minimize the possibility of getting spider cracks in the fiberglass from the thru bolt contacting with the fiberglass.

I wouldn't worry about the arch having enough strength, as long as all of the fasteners are there and are secure. Does your arch have an access cover on the bottom side of it? My 322 has one, and inside the arch is an aluminum frame. If yours is the same, you may be able do something with it.