My Monterey
Russ

Bow Thruster 270CR

My cruising will be mostly alone and I am considering the addition of a bow thruster. I did find a 270CR advertised for sale that listed it as having a bow thruster, so now I am convinced it can be done. I would be interested in hearing from any members that might already have a bow thruster installed on their cruiser.

Pros, cons, tips, pictures, etc. all greatly appreciated. Thanks, Russ russwhite@earthlink.net

My cruising will be mostly alone and I am considering the addition of a bow thruster. I did find a 270CR advertised for sale that listed it as having a bow thruster, so now I am convinced it can be done. I would be interested in hearing from any members that might already have a bow thruster installed on their cruiser.

Pros, cons, tips, pictures, etc. all greatly appreciated. Thanks, Russ russwhite@earthlink.net

Hi Russ,

I think that you should reconsider the need to install a bow thruster. I have a 2005 270CR and I also have a USCG 100 Ton Masters License. I operate single screw, twin screw and jet drive boats. With 30 to 50 dockings a day (more than most boaters do all season) I have yet to find the need for a bow thruster. With the right plan, preparation and practice you should be able to dock your boat, single handed and look like a pro. I would suggest a few lessons from a competent captain (much cheaper than a bow thruster) and practice, practice, practice! (Preferably on a well fendered dock)

Good luck and happy boating,

Jeff

Russ,

I've been boating for over 20 years and this is my fourth boat, and I considered myself to be above average, but the single engine combined with sheer size of the 270 make it very difficult for me in a crosswind to get into my slip. I found myself trying to turn in a narrow alley between slips and getting blown towards the seawall too many times. The boater in the slip next to me told me to just go faster, but, as you can imagine, that doesn't always work either. Well, after two summers of struggling with a high crosswind in my slip, I finally broke down and decided to get a bow thruster. It's being installed right now. I'll post something when it's done. Monterey told my installer that bow thrusters aren't an option, and they didn't offer any advice. He asked for plans so as to ensure he didn't drill through any structural components, and they sent a few pictures that he says weren't very helpful. We were able to contact someone in the UK that installed a thruster on the 270, and basically you need to cut a hole in the floor beneath the table, take out some of the foam insulation, and they install the tunnel, and the thruster mounts under the table roughly in line with the portholes.

Andy

Bow_Thruster_Installation.pdf

I got my boat back a couple months ago with the Bow Thruster installed, and some very cool underwater lights on the stern. I've been spending time doing new bottom paint and having Mercruiser do some warranty work on the stern drive for corrosion problems. I'm getting ready to launch this weekend. In the mean time, I thought I would post a few pictures of the bow thruster installation (click on the .pdf above). John Paddy at MidAtlanticMarine did a great job! My dealer commented on how professional the wiring was.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

I launched the boat on Saturday, and what a difference the bow thruster makes! It's everything I hoped it would be - the maneuverability is great. I can spin the boat around, and by turning the engine from side to side while alternating forward and reverse, while I use the bow thruster, I can move the whole boat sideways. I single handedly docked her three times with no problems. When I'm not on plane, there is no drag due to how they shaped the front of the thruster tunnel - I don't even notice any difference from before I had the thruster. When I am getting up on plane and on plane, the bow comes out of the water right away, so drag isn't a factor. I didn't notice any performance change, just an increase in maneuverability. All I can say is wow.

The guy at my marina told me I was cheating - that's fine with me, my ego can handle it. I think I just removed a lot of stress from my boating days.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for posting to this topic. I enjoyed seeing that someone has actually added a bow thruster to a 270CR. I have not made the addition yet. I thought I had a company interested in coming to my area and doing the job, but it hasn't worked out yet. I enoyed the pictures and might ask for some more detail at a later date.

Since I feel "pleasure boating" is for having fun, anything that makes the boating less stressful is a good thing.

Hope you enjoy your increased control and I am sure you will enjoy your boat more now. Keep us posted if there are any changes or things you would have done differently.

Russ

I launched the boat on Saturday, and what a difference the bow thruster makes! It's everything I hoped it would be - the maneuverability is great. I can spin the boat around, and by turning the engine from side to side while alternating forward and reverse, while I use the bow thruster, I can move the whole boat sideways. I single handedly docked her three times with no problems. When I'm not on plane, there is no drag due to how they shaped the front of the thruster tunnel - I don't even notice any difference from before I had the thruster. When I am getting up on plane and on plane, the bow comes out of the water right away, so drag isn't a factor. I didn't notice any performance change, just an increase in maneuverability. All I can say is wow.

The guy at my marina told me I was cheating - that's fine with me, my ego can handle it. I think I just removed a lot of stress from my boating days.

Andy

Andy,

It appears the link to your pictures has expired. Can you re-post?

Hi Guy's

I have a 2006 270CR which is equipped with a bow thruster, the australian agent /dealer fitted it as a dealer option when new.

But, as with the original post, most of my boat use is solo or with my wife, 6 month old daughter and 3 year old son, none of whom help when docking, not yet anyway!!

I keep my boat in a Sea Pen (made by Dock Pro here in Aus). I originally bought it so I would never have to anti-foul the hull and save on maintenance costs related to keeping it wet. Another advantage I immediately discovered was single handed docking, you simply drive into it and it grabs hold of you like a catchers mit! You then just step off and attache the ropes!!

When docking with the sea pen I never need to use the bow thruster

It has made or boating experience so easy and enjoyable, and I don't have to worry about bottom paint (anti-foul)

Check Out the links below, there may be a similar product available in the USA.

Otherwise I'm sure they'd get one over there some how....

Cheers

Heath

http://www.seapen.com.au/

http://www.dockpro.com.au/