My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Windjammer

Transducer Replacement

I have a 2003 200 LS that came with a built in depth gauge and a thru hull transducer. I am planning on installing a Garmin 535s along with a new brass transducer that gives temp in addition to depth/contour. Rather than boring another hole in the hull, I would like to remove the old transducer and install the new one in the existing hole.

Anyone ever done anything similar to this? Any suggestions, tricks, or "gotcha's" I should be aware of?

Thanks

I have a 2003 200 LS that came with a built in depth gauge and a thru hull transducer. I am planning on installing a Garmin 535s along with a new brass transducer that gives temp in addition to depth/contour. Rather than boring another hole in the hull, I would like to remove the old transducer and install the new one in the existing hole.

Anyone ever done anything similar to this? Any suggestions, tricks, or "gotcha's" I should be aware of?

Thanks

---

Did you ever figure this out?

My transducer died and I'm not sure I want to replace it or go with a transom mounted version.

thx,

pb

---

Did you ever figure this out?

My transducer died and I'm not sure I want to replace it or go with a transom mounted version.

thx,

pb

PB - I did not get around to replacing the transducer before the boat went in the water, but I did look at this real hard - access is very tight. Spoke with the local dealer's service manager and he recommended that they do this as the old unit was probably installed with epoxy (3M5200?) and would have to be broken out which might cause some damage to the gelcoat which would then need to be repaired. I tend to agree this is not a DIY project and may let the dealer do this when I take the boat in for the end of year servicing. WJ