My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Nautically_Nauti

Repowering a 298SC

Currently has 305's which are adequate with a low fuel load and one or two people on board, but with a full fuel load and food/drinks for a day on the water, she's very slow out of the hole and painfully slow to plane and top end suffers tremendously (low 50's down to high 30's). Thinking of swapping in built 383's and curious if anyone has gone this route or has any other experience repowering the 298 series.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

2003 298SC "Nautically Nauti"

Hi, I have encountered the same problem with my 282. I changed my props out for ones with a larger pitch and it was like a different boat. You may want to check out some different props prior to changing engines out. For specifics you can email me at paullav@adelphia.com. Paul

Currently has 305's which are adequate with a low fuel load and one or two people on board, but with a full fuel load and food/drinks for a day on the water, she's very slow out of the hole and painfully slow to plane and top end suffers tremendously (low 50's down to high 30's). Thinking of swapping in built 383's and curious if anyone has gone this route or has any other experience repowering the 298 series.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

2003 298SC "Nautically Nauti"

Hi Brian,

I had a similair problem with my last boat. A 27 ft. O/B with a 350 mag Bravo3. It came out of the factory with the wrong Bravo prop set. Once the correct prop set was put on it ran 10 times better and would wind up to the correct rpm at top end also. I found out by emailing the factory. If I recall, it had one range higher pitch than it should have, 24 pitch instead of a 22 pitch prop set & was slow out of the hole and slow at top end. We switched it out and all was well. I know there are at least 3 298SS O/B down here where I boat. The dealer I ordered my boat from has'nt had anyone complain of lack of power to him. All those were 305/5.0L MPI's making 260hp.

Hi, I have encountered the same problem with my 282. I changed my props out for ones with a larger pitch and it was like a different boat. You may want to check out some different props prior to changing engines out. For specifics you can email me at paullav@adelphia.com. Paul

Paul, what are the specifics on your 282? Thinking of getting a new leftover 2006 with twin 5.0's and am wondering how well it goes!