My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Geohippo

Carburetor Starboard Volvo 5.0 GL-E Stalling

My Monertery 2005 282 Carburetor Starboard Volvo 5.0 GL-E has been stalling only after warm up and backing out of slip. After running for a time, no problem at all. Warm up about 15 Min and still stalls when putting into reverse slow or fast. The dealer said just needs to be warm, however Port engine is fine. I live in California, wondering if Carb running lean because of requirements in California and is there an adjustment to bring in a bit less lean on that engine.

I had similar problem with my '98 296 which also has the 5.0 carburettor motor. Needed to turn up the idle a little to stop it stalling at low revs and when shifting from forward/reverse and vice versa. Also found that my earth strap wasn't too good and that at low revs there just wasn't enough power in the circuit to maintain the ignition.

Thanks for the note. The first thing I did today is place a gas additiive to make sure there is no water in that tank, pretty new boat but I use all marine gas. I will push up the idle just a bit also to see how that helps. Hopefully between cleaning up the gas if in fact it needs it, and the idle hopefully that will help. I do notice after warm up, the one engine is ideling flat, the other with the stall problem (only after backing out for the first time) does have a slight pulse in the idle, so thats one reason I put the gas additive.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the note. The first thing I did today is place a gas additiive to make sure there is no water in that tank, pretty new boat but I use all marine gas. I will push up the idle just a bit also to see how that helps. Hopefully between cleaning up the gas if in fact it needs it, and the idle hopefully that will help. I do notice after warm up, the one engine is ideling flat, the other with the stall problem (only after backing out for the first time) does have a slight pulse in the idle, so thats one reason I put the gas additive.

Thanks again!

Update: Needed to adjust the electric choke and the choke idle. Not perfect but much better when cold. When warm all runs good.