My Monterey
red298sc

Gaffrig throttle split

Graffigs site wasn't helpful in that there wasn't a link to any documentation....When I emailed the contact there I received a bit of advice on how to adjust a detent at the throttle handle and a recommendation that I take it to Monterey to have them adjusted...and that he'd fax me an install sheet if I provided a number...which I did and I never received the fax.

So while not discourteous, Graffigs site nor people were helpful. So what I was hoping for is a little help from Montereys MOST team.

Heres the story, I have a 2005 298SC that has 350 Mag Hor installed....the throttles are Graffig but in the Documentation pouch (white Monterey bag) were the instructions for the Volvo installed throttles. Having 20 years of aviation mechanic and electrical experience I have synced a few engines and rigged a few throttles on twin jets, the cable version....now the're all electronic. Its also taught me to read first then grab the wrench so thats what I am trying to do....I know its probably not rocket science nor can it as hard as an "alpha" cutout shifter adjust...i just want the documentation, to perform it right the first time. Hull Number RGFCA284C505

While I am still looking for the Install sheet and instructions...I no longer need specific help on the split...seems Mercruisers' documentation is presented in such a manner as to help me. Thank You all for reading and support. BTW Graffigs' site, Graffigperformance, does not contain any documentation that I could find.

While I am still looking for the Install sheet and instructions...I no longer need specific help on the split...seems Mercruisers' documentation is presented in such a manner as to help me. Thank You all for reading and support. BTW Graffigs' site, Graffigperformance, does not contain any documentation that I could find.

I am curious as to feel of a CORRECTLY adjusted Gaffrigs. I have drove 2 differrent 298SS with Gaffrig controls neither of which had the detent feel to the throttle described in the April 07 Boating Magazine test. I went to the Gaffrig website when I saw your post. There too they describe a detent adjustment?? I suspect the boats I drove, both testers, had incorrectly adjusted controls. I have a 318SSX on order with Gaffrigs and want to be right!! I hope they are working on this website. I posted a couple things and it took 3-4 days for my post to appear??

Eventually, to my elated surprise, I did recieve a fax of the install sheet from gaffrig, Everything seems straightforward from the install sheet. The procedure mercruiser breaks out wasn't much help, but that is probably because I am not able to start the motors at the present time. I did pull the throttles up out of the dash to view how they are adjusted, there is a little more to those throttles then meets the eye. The detent mentioned is something that can be adjusted through the throttle slide boot,. and appeard fairly straight forward from the install sheet. I'll post more when I actually attempt to adjust them. Can't be that hard right? Those are famous last words....

I am curious as to feel of a CORRECTLY adjusted Gaffrigs. I have drove 2 differrent 298SS with Gaffrig controls neither of which had the detent feel to the throttle described in the April 07 Boating Magazine test. I went to the Gaffrig website when I saw your post. There too they describe a detent adjustment?? I suspect the boats I drove, both testers, had incorrectly adjusted controls. I have a 318SSX on order with Gaffrigs and want to be right!! I hope they are working on this website. I posted a couple things and it took 3-4 days for my post to appear??

I wish I could find this April 07 article....I searched but to no avail...

Look in the Boating magazine website . I think they have a archive tab. They tested a 07 298SSX that was equiped with Gaffrigs. They mentioned the feel of those controls.

Interesting enough the 08 Monterey's now come with Mercury Zero Effort controls not Gaffrigs. I have a 318SSX on order and I was informed that is what they come with. If you examine the couple pictures of this boat on the website of the Zero Effort controls you can see a G stamped on the side of the lever. I assume that Gaffrig makes the Mercury branded "Zero Effort" controls. I have looked at some articles on line & it looks like that the controls are adjustable for detent and friction by adjusting a small screw (Allen head?), just inside the boot at the bottom of the controls. Those screws are supposed to be accessable & adjustable without removing the controls. I have not done this, just did a little research on line. Maybe someone could chime in who has done the adjustment.

Hey red298SC

You can buy a "digital back issue of the April 07 Boating at http://www.zinio.com/gncsingles?issn=0006-5374&ns=usa or you may look on the boating Magazine website for a back issue section, although I didn't see it.

Glad the Admin for this site has tweaked something, I posted a couple of replies today and they are showing up now instead of several days later. Good Fix!

Aaaaah, I have dug into and found some very interesting things, If you want to adjust Graffig Throttles with a mercruiser setup here is the best and worked for me from 700 rpm thru the 5200 RPM rated by mercruser on thier 350 MPI....

First and foremost, all of this information is from one piece of fax from Graffig and what I could glean out of a mercruiser installation manual. I did ask a local mercrueser Racing dealer and emailed other companies and I could not glean any more information from them except to try, and mess with things. So with that information I did.

This info has nothing to do with reverse/forward nuetral linkage. Please do not confuse.

First, there were only two adjustments within the linkage side of the house, the one at the engine, (the START of pull on butterfly (butterfly of throttle). And an adjustment at the throttle which is the Actual THROW on pull on throttle Butterfly. This mechanical adjustment is an entirely inexact science at best, but, to get better you would have to marry up sparks and mpi (sync motors). Which still hasn't anything to do with balancing horsepower, and I will absolutely not get into the appartii for balancing horsepower, (especially on a 350 mpi) suffice my guess to be a torsional bar with a strain gauge,,,(I used to use these for HELOs but in the 1200 HP range.

Sooooo, here is how I got my engines, as indicated on the dash within 100 rpm indicated throughout the entire range. Always lube with "a silicone based lube" per Graffig, the slots the throttles and shifters move through, It will save you agravation getting the boots back in place, in the least, maybe at best a torn boot, go buy it now.

First I figured out what that little set screw that you can see at full throttle (down in the slide slot) actually does. I never did find a detent, so correct me someone please.

I hate to admit but all it did for me was allow me to loosen and tighten the throttle resistance. If anyone has anymore info let me know, so first I adjusted to real loose, Counter clockwise one turn till your good and they are both even, (anti clockwise if your British). When I was all finished with my adjustments I chose to tighten to a stiffer throttle, because I did not like anything to be that loose, especially if I am not always the one at the throttle in and out of gear. I do NOT believe revving an engine can be good and do not want it to be "HIT" to rev up by mistake. Thats just me. The set screw worked good for that too.

Second tape the throttles together So they move at exactly the same time, (i didn't actually do this, I was just crazy enough to, run for and aft to look at them incessantly 2 or 3 thousand times to make sure they were EXACTLY the same, then adjust, at the motor throttle linkage to the butterfly, by spinning the AFT mount of the cable in or out on the cable (GRAB YOUR 3.8 OR 7/16) so that Port and Starboard motor Throttle moves the end connected to the butterfly valve at the exact same time and directly off of about 1/4 inch of throttle movement which is tight, my friend. Don't worry about full throw at this time. Just when each motor COMES off of idle. Herein lies the Beauty of the Graffig. The Graffig throttleset is so so sensitive that you can almost feel the tension on the throttle when the butterfly starts to open. I NEVER THOUGHT OF LOCKING THEM IN TO ADJUST. Here is another thing, which I did not deal with may come up. I worked with almost new cables so I did not work with any stretch, if you cannot get the cable length described above move pull the throttles up and adjust the clevis' on full in till you can adjust the motors the same. If you don't understand that, pretend you already did this then move to next step and then repeat the whole thing. I did this to learn the system. EXTRA INFO WHICH is good but YOU DON'T NEED follows If you remember the old carter or eldel brock linkages on your car its the same linkage but OTHER side of motor, ...Butterfly just meters air, nowadays, the Mercruiser computer figures out how much gas to inject via MPI, instead of jets buried in some archaic float system likewise buried within the carburateur and having to be sucked into the venturis by some likewise old bernouli system. Besides you don't have to worry about ICING throught the Hi to Lo press zones at 37 degrees f.....now my aviation is showing through.....

Second, Pull your throttles up....Grab a bunch of clean rags, keep in mind there are wires involved and GENTLY pull the 4 mount screws out Gentfully and carefully and pull them up. They are DEEP for good reason, what I ended up doing, was sitting them on the rags aforementioned to a little sideways so they would stay up. Being especially careful of the gentle wiring. With them up, Look at the throttle pull linkage, (by advancing the throttle) You will notice a brass clevis with a lock nut attached to the cable. This is attached and adjusted by removing the straight slot holding the clevis in place and, of course, loosening the lock nut. Make sure you locktight this Straight slot back in place when done, (USE LOCTITE 7) do not scrimp on this step. Now that you have all this out...decide which throttle you want to be the reference and adjust the other to it. I ran the engines with them up.

Its siimple. Adjust Out or move clevis out on the slow to rise throttle one half turn at a time then reinstall and test.....loctite when done. HINT HINT HINT> If BOTH motors rise from idle to 1500 with equal throttle movement slowly under no load then you have married them for the most part. REASSEMBLE all and roll, this is where I am at and still find no fault through the full movement. of the throttle and motor. And they sound Darn good too. They aren't truely synchronised as I hear the harmonics, within thier frequencies, but they are real close and I am impressed.....

They started out about 500 rpm off at 3500. Now other then computerizing, I can't get them closer.

Afterinformation....There are full and end stops on your Graffrigs as youll notice, I did not adjust these at all. I noticed these did not have any effect on the throttly butterflies movement on either motor so I did not bother with them at all...your situation may be different I throw this out there so folks, who were interested would get an answer, Good luck fellow Montereyers....

If you have questions, reread about 2 times, ask me, then I will reread about 5 times. then get you an answer. They are GREAT Throttles and Great Motors, mounted in a great boat...I am way to picky for my own good.