My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
HeinsFam

Skiing a 4.3L 204FS

Hey all!

We're putting together an order for a 204FS, but we're a bit hung up on the engine choice. We'll be using it a lot for water sports, mainly tubing/wakeboarding, but also including some slolam skiing. I've been dragged by a 90hp for years, so I'm sure whatever we put in the 204 is sure to be just fine, but I'm interested to hear from those who have experieince behind the 204. While we could bump up to the 5.0s, I'm wondering if the 225 Volvo propped with a 4-blade would be a good alternative. Any thoughts here? Thanks for any input!

RH

We have the 5.0L in our 204FS. We do not do any watersports, but am glad we have the V8. The V6 should be fine for most watersports with a 14 x 20p 4 blade propeller.

I had a four winns with a 5.0 220HP that was aproximately the same weight (stock 3 blade prop). While you would not have the torque in the hole shot that a V8 provides, the V6 should provide ample power/torque to get your skiers up - especially with a hot prop. I would not worry about it unless you wanted to do more than 50MPH in the boat. or carry 8 people on a regular basis. If so, then definately opt for the V8.

One more thing to think of is resale. I don't have any insight into V6 vs V8 in this regard, but it may be prudent to see what the price differences are on used prior to making you decision.

Either way I doubt you will be disappointed.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've heard that the right prop can really make a big difference, so that's probably the solution...and I think you're right, that boat won't disappoint.

R