My Monterey
Montereyjoe282

282 Prop Selection help

I have recently purchased a 2001 282 with twin mercruiser 5.0L 220 engines with Alpha 1's.

I have a hard time getting on plane with a full load and can only turn 4200 RPM's at WOT using SS 14" x 19" props.

I am getting many conflicting recommendations from prop dealers...some say go with 3 blade 15 1/2" x 17", some say

14 1/4 x 17" , some say go with a 4 blade 15" x 17" or 15" x 16"...

Any one that has a similar boat they can tell me what they are using or any suggestions from anyone else...don't want to spend nearly $1,000 for wrong props...Thanks

14-1/4 x 17" would be the right choice. I would get aluminum props to save on cost. The 282 is a heavy boat for Alpha single prop drives.

It will not pop up on plane all that easily , especially with a full load (but what is that ?)

You will get better hole shot with 4 blade props, but would have to lose some top end speed if you went 4-blade.

Our 282 did great with 4.3L (220HP) V-6 and the Bravo III drives. The 282 really needs the duo prop drives to assist in planning.

Good Luck.

Before spending any money on props, I would make sure the engines are running as they should. A full tune-up with plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and setting the ignition timing, could make all the difference. Given that you just bought it, you might also want to have new water pump impellers installed in the drives too. They are VERY important when it comes to keeping those engines cool. :)

Thanks for the feedback Rip5, i was kinda thinking the same...Mercruiser is suggesting a 4 blade 16" for the extra thurst for all that boats weight, our full load is 140 gals of fuel, 40 gals of water and all the crip crap one needs to carry on a weeks excursion to Cuttyhunk, probably adds about 2,000 lbs to the dry weight.

Thanks Artemus, I bought the boat with one siezed engine so I had it changed before launching then had the other one serviced with wires, plugs, timing etc..

I called Monterey and they said the boat was originally shipped with 14 1/2 x 17" not the stainless 19"s that are on there now. I have a 17" aluminum from my old boat so I think I'll buy one more 17 counter rotating aluminum for about $100 and see what that gives me this season..

Follow up, I purchased the two 15 X 17" aluminum props and with 2 people on board I was able to get 4600 RPM's at WOT and that was without trimming the outdrives fully, had a limited amount of distance to do the run. The Solas props did extremely well, very pleased. I'll run them for the season to see how they perform.