My Monterey
nosvet

new 276 owner with lots of questions!!!!

Hello everyone,

We just purchased a 1995 276 and its in need of some TLC and some replacement items and I'm hoping that the mass of experience here will be able to help us. The boat's generator is missing and I'm wondering what the original equipment consisted of and what everyone is currently doing for replacement units.

Also, the camper top and hardware is missing and we'd like to get a new camper cover made but we really do not know how much is missing or needed. Currently, it has a cockpit Bimini, approx 3 pieces of old yellowed izing glass, and a cockpit type cover that snaps on at the windshield and goes around the edges of the boat with tent pole in the center to stop pooling water.

And finally, what gps units will fit into the factory bezel to the left of the helm? although that seems awkward to see its better than the small unit currently screwed to the top of the dash that I can't read due to sun glare.

What radar setup original came with these boats of this year and where would it have been mounted. I want to try ans bring it back to original configurations.

Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance we look forward to enjoying our 276!!!

Thanks

Chris

Welcome !

Generator, likely was a Kohler originally. Measure your area, compare with Kohler specs and see if it will fit. That will be about $5K to $7K to get installed (roughly)

Unless you are very handy at boat building, this is a job for a professional IMO.

Camper Top- for that age of boat, it will be unlikely even Monterey would have original part numbers. So really, your best bet is to have a canvas shop make you

a new one with supports and fittings that you want. That will be close to $2,500.00 to have one made.

GPS. Measure the area and depth. Look for a flush mount GPS that will fit the space. Garmin makes some good ones. About all you can do.

Radar would have been mounted on the arch, IF it was even available from the factory that long ago on a 276. It's about the only place you could mount a dome.

Good luck with your projects, and keep us posted how you progress.

generator is missing and I'm wondering what the original equipment consisted of and what everyone is currently doing for replacement units.

The 4-5kw Kohlers will fit and are what I usually see installed on these boats. Mine had a Kohler 5ESZ

Also, the camper top and hardware is missing and we'd like to get a new camper cover made but we really do not know how much is missing or needed.

Your best bet would be to have a new one made - to do a full camper, you'll need the bimini over the cockpit then an aft bimini that zips together with the main one. Curtains for the back and sides, clear vinyl all around the cockpit bimini.

And finally, what gps units will fit into the factory bezel to the left of the helm? although that seems awkward to see its better than the small unit currently screwed to the top of the dash that I can't read due to sun glare.

That would be akward to see, any of the 5" models should fit there. Take off the dash panel and measure the depth, it doesnt go back as far as it looks. I have my VHF there, so there is some space, just not as much as you'd think. I've often contemplated flush mounting one in on the right side above the engine throttles, but I ended up with it on top of the dash. The newer gps units are much better in the sun, than the older ones.

What radar setup original came with these boats of this year and where would it have been mounted. I want to try ans bring it back to original configurations.

I've seen a few 276s set up with factory radar arch, not many though. If you're set on having radar, one that displays on your plotter would be best as dash space is at a premium.

Thanks for the info as it will be most helpful. My current issues include finding replacement latches, accent lighting fixture for the florescent fixtures around the v-berth and the cup holders with the center drain in them so I can replace the old ones.

Has anyone on the forum come up with an alternate use for the space where the coffee pot is located?

Hi, I am buying a 1999 276, and will be doing some tlc (fridge not running, lights, etc). Anything you learned working on yours would be greatly appreciated. The online manual is pretty generic.

Note: this thread is 2 years old, hard to say if the OP even still owns a 276. Good Luck with your's.

On 2/4/2014 at 8:19 PM, nosvet said:

Thanks for the info as it will be most helpful. My current issues include finding replacement latches, accent lighting fixture for the florescent fixtures around the v-berth and the cup holders with the center drain in them so I can replace the old ones.

Has anyone on the forum come up with an alternate use for the space where the coffee pot is located?

The stainless cup holders we bought to replace the original had the center drains in them.  Pretty sure we just bought them on ebay or Amazon.