My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Heinrich

Bomar Hatch Replacement

Hi all,

Let’s just say someone stepped on the round hatch (sounds so much better when it’s open ended right?) and its now cracked.

After seeing the prices folks want for a replacement one e.g. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&productId=26978&langId=-1 ( +- $500) (btw, I realized these hatches sold does not include a boat (sarcasm!)… So, I better do a DYI job.)

I found some reasonably priced grey smoked Acrylic Plexiglas www.estreetplastics.com/Grey_Smoke_Plexiglass_2064_s/80.htm. However, all the items I find come in sheets (not cut in circles). The diameter needs to be 19 and 7/8 inch (and I’m thinking to use 3/8 inch thickness). I was wondering how easy it is to cut. Has anyone attempted doing this? Also, would 3/8 inch be a good thinkness, maybe 1/2 inch?

Lastly, has anyone found a web site that sells these sheets cut in circles? (Or does anyone know where you can find the original Bomar Plexisheets replacements (the typical opaque white sheets)?

I also considered Polycarbonate (i.e. Lexan), however it seems to be way more expensive, but not as durable (apparently susceptible to scratches).

Has anyone done these types of replacements?

Kind regards,

Heinrich

Well folks, I ended up ordering a 24" x 24" - Transparent Grey "Smoked" Polycarbonate Lexan - 1/4" thick sheet from eStreetPlastics.com (including shipping it cost $55.01). They also do offer cutting it in a circle; however that almost doubles the cost. After talking to several folks I decided to just cut it myself, using a jigsaw (with a very fine metal blade) - I was able to cut it without any issues (I used the original broken piece as the template – turns out it’s actually 20 inches diameter). Once cut, I used a small file (I think it costs around $8 from Lowes), and smoothed the edges (in case someone steps on it and cuts their feet).

I then used Silicone Kitchen and Bathroom caulk (almost 2 – 2.8 FL OZ) to set the Lexan in place (cost 2 x $3.98 from Lowes.com).

Once it all dried (I left the silicon 3 days to dry), I then used IPS Weldon #16 Acrylic Cement 5 Oz (including shipping, it cost $11.36 from Amazon) to attach the 3 hatch levers (it attaches onto the Lexan to close and make the hatch opening water tight). Doing this last part takes a bit of patience! I initially made the mistake to use J-B Weld Epoxy Glue, this cured well onto the handles, but after just 1 try dropped off the Lexan sheet (lesson learnt).

All in all (excluding the wait times on getting things to dry), it likely is about an hour’s work.

post-16205-0-71667000-1394413166_thumb.jpg

post-16205-0-28798200-1394413175_thumb.jpg