My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
torombolo

262 A/C Unit

Good morning!!! I have a question for the experts, I have a 262 (2001) are the A/C units on these sealed? Can they be serviced?

My problem is yesterday morning it was working fine, really cool went out for a spin when we got back to shore power it would not blow cold air, it seemed like it was only the fan working.

I appretiate all your help?

Have you cleaned (with a vacuum) the filters ? If they are even the slightest bit dirty, the A/C will struggle to cool the boat.

But, if you could not hear the compressor running, it may be something else. Yes they can be serviced, parts can be replaced, etc.

Thaknks for the reply, fillter and all is clean, I clean perioically, the problem seems to be the compresor, It will not start or engauge.

Someone had told me it is a complete unit, and would need entire replacement, your reply bring some relief.

Thanks Rip, everithing is clean, just the compressor not starting.

Impossible to tell without the make of your A/C - but most are not "sealed."

If the fan is running and the compressor is not here are a couple of things to check.

1 - visually inspect the system if you see corrosion, then its likely that the compressor is ruined due to air/water infiltration.

2 - Check to make sure your raw water cooling pump is supplying water to the heat exchanger at startup. You should see a strong stream of water exiting the boat, when the A/C is on. The compressor will not run without the cooling water.

3 - get a clip on ammeter and measure the amps that the A/C unit pulls on startup. If the A/C unit pulls high amps then stops, find out what is dousing the overload (see points 1 & 2) If the A/C unit doesn't draw significant amps, the compressor is not trying to start look for a breaker, fuse, wiring. etc.

Thank you Kelleyja, # 2 we can discard water is flowing like ussual, I will inspect the unit as much as I can for #1 and also for a make/manufacturer and follow with # 3.

This was very helpfull in what to look for.

Thanks again

Well I have looked inspected etc etc, no power problem, no corrosion, the unit looks exelent, everithing is cleaned including the strainer.

The only thing I notice is the compresor does start and goes off after 5 sec. like if out of gas and in failsafe mode. But cant find anywehere the access point to recharge.

Any clues???

sounds like a safety switch to me, check for malfunctioning water flow or temperature sensors. There are probably access points to recharge the refrigerant, but that wouldnt cause the compressor to cycle after 5 sec.

Brand would help. On our 2005 282CR, our reverse cycle unit was made by Marine Air. You might check their website for troubleshooting tips, etc.

Also to see if you can verify if it is a Marine air unit or not.

www.marineair.com/international

I have a question as I just purchased a 2006 322, how can you run the AC and other items at once? The AC is uses shore power two but nothing else does and I can find any type of parallel switch.