My Monterey
bfancy

No counter rotating props

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I am thinking of buying a 1993 Monterey 2876 that has two 4.3L engines with Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II outdrives. Both props rotate in the same standard direction. I have done some google research about having a twin engine boat without counter rotating props and have found negative things about it like too much torque steer, poor handling especially at slow speeds, poor reverse handling, excessive fuel burn, port list, etc. Just wondering if this is over exaggerated or very real issues that are enough for me to not purchase the boat. Also I would appreciate any other info about this particular model of boat (good or bad) that would aid me in making my decision. Also I have a Ford F-150 4wd pickup with a 5.4L engine and am wondering if this boat is too heavy for this vehicle to tow. It is on a triple axle trailer with brakes. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Welcome!

I have a 1998 276 Cruiser, and I have run it with standard rotation AND counter rotating props. I have volvo outdrives so it is easier for me to switch rotation. From experience I can tell you that there is a difference, but it is minor. Its a little more straight and true when taking off from a dead stop and around the docks its a little more predictable. The boat handles well without the counter roaring props.

An F-150 will certainly move this boat, but I wouldn't go on the highway with it. When I first got my boat, I actually towed it home one winter (16 miles) with a V6 4Runner. I took the side streets and never got over 35MPH, everything went fine. I also towed it with a 5.4 F-150 that I picked up from UHaul, my towing experience was similar with the F-150 except I got less strange looks on the road. Still I wouldn't want to tow at high speed or over a distance with the 150. If you live a few miles from the ramp, the F-150 (or even a 4Runner) will work fine. You'll get up to speed just fine, the challenge with towing is controlling the load on turns, bumps and expansion joints. That 30' of boat behind you works like a big lever and wants to bounce the tow vehicle all over the place. I tow now from FL to OH with a diesel Excursion, which makes for a much more stress-free ride.

The main thing I would look for in these boats is water infiltration. Look in the bilge, look under the cabin seats, look in the shower sump compartment. They tend to leak around the windows (do a search on this forum), hatches, and rub rail.

I went ahead and bought the Monterey 286. Hopefully the non-counter rotating props won't be too much of an issue. If it is I will buy an opposite rotation outdrive for the port side. I understand Mercruiser makes them and also an aftermarket company makes them.