My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
hermsky

97 276 Electrical Question

Hello,

I have a new, used... 1997 276, 7.4 ,bravo 3 with air conditioning and shore power. I love it!!

I have never had a boat with shore power before as my old 78 Reinelle was a bare boned cruiser.

My question is, How can you run the interior boat lights with the shore power on?

The manual I found on line stated the shore power runs the microwave, air conditioning hot water heater etc and the DC power runs the interior and exterior lighting. OK.

The previous owner told me to never have the shore power master switch and the DC power master switch ON at the same time??

So does this mean I can't use the shore power to power my interior lights when I am docked at night?

Do you just run them off the second battery till they run out then turn them to turn on the shore power to charge the batteries?

Second, Do you leave your shore power on all the time to charge the batteries when you are not at the marina?

Any info you could give on properly using shore power would be appreciated.

Thanks for you help.

Scott

Hello,

I have a new, used... 1997 276, 7.4 ,bravo 3 with air conditioning and shore power. I love it!!

I have never had a boat with shore power before as my old 78 Reinelle was a bare boned cruiser.

My question is, How can you run the interior boat lights with the shore power on? Just turn them on

The manual I found on line stated the shore power runs the microwave, air conditioning hot water heater etc and the DC power runs the interior and exterior lighting. OK.

The previous owner told me to never have the shore power master switch and the DC power master switch ON at the same time?? ???

So does this mean I can't use the shore power to power my interior lights when I am docked at night? You can always use DC lights, on shore power or battery power.

Do you just run them off the second battery till they run out then turn them to turn on the shore power to charge the batteries?It would take many days to run the battery down from just cabin lights

Second, Do you leave your shore power on all the time to charge the batteries when you are not at the marina?Shore power will do nothing when not plugged in. Turn it off when away from the dock

Any info you could give on properly using shore power would be appreciated.Leave shorepower plugged in and on when at the dock, it charges the batteries and runs everything else. Off when away from the dock.

Thanks for you help.

Scott

Scott, Never heard of NOT running both before. I have always kept both AC and DC on when ever we are onboard, otherwise you can't run the head and lights while the air is on. I always leave the AC on even when not onboard mostly for the fridge and to keep the humidity function of the air condition on during real humid days. I do not leave the battery charge on when not there as I would be concerned the auto charge may not shut off and destroy the batteries, although my neighbor always leaves his AC on. (just I always physically disconnect the shoreline water supply when not onboard in the even a fitting breaks on the boat.

I also shut the DC main switch off when leaving the boat for extended periods in case i left something on so I'll have good batteries when I return.

You can have the shore power and the DC circuits on at the same time. They are completely separate systems and will not interfere with each other.

The shore power use depends on your needs. Plenty of folks in a wet slip leave drinks in the fridge and power on always to keep them cool. I keep the shore power when needed to top off my batteries.