My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Swest

Monterey 298 Sump Pump Drains to Holding Tank -- Question

I purchased a 2005 Monterey 298 SC over the winter. My question -- the head sink and kitchen sink drain into the shower sump pump and then is pumped into the holding tank instead of overboard. Everybody is telling me this is crazy -- it should pump overboard and that I should re-route it thru one of the existing thru-hull drains.

Thoughts? Is this common on Monterey boats? Any concerns re-routing or leaving as is?

It's common on MANY boats, not just your particular Monterey. Our Four Winns cruiser had it set up the same way. It's not really crazy, just

not ideal for ease of emptying. It's done that way, so some schmuck with no clue who poured old oil, or something nasty down his sink, it does not go into the surrounding waters.

It can then be pumped out of the holding tank with no fear of environmental damage. If you just have soapy water in your sink, then just re-route the line

to a thru hull and send it overboard.

I own a Monterey 2001 282. My sump, which the shower and head sink drain into is pumped overboard. My galley sink drains directly overboard without going into the sump at all. My friends who own other manufacturers boats even younger than mine also pump or drain grey water overboard. I would think that pumping grey water into the holding tank will fill up that tank very quickly. Sometimes a grey water holding system is an option on boats or totally self contained waste systems are required in certain boating areas. I personally would reroute it overboard unless regulations prohibit it. Although pump outs are free they do require a tip and time must be set aside to wait for the pump out boat.

I purchased a 2005 Monterey 298 SC over the winter. My question -- the head sink and kitchen sink drain into the shower sump pump and then is pumped into the holding tank instead of overboard. Everybody is telling me this is crazy -- it should pump overboard and that I should re-route it thru one of the existing thru-hull drains.

Thoughts? Is this common on Monterey boats? Any concerns re-routing or leaving as is?

I have a 2004 298 SC with the same setup and I will reroute it to drain over board.