My Monterey
Lake Mead Monster

Battery Types for my 2004 298 SC

I own a 2004 298 SC that has a total of three batteries. One for the port engine that also runs most of the 12v electrical systems and another for the starboard engine and the final one is specific for starting the generator. My Volvo Penta manual states NOT to use deep cycle batteries on EFI engines and that it can problems with EFI engines.

I replace all three batteries every two years and put a deep cycle on the port engine and a dual purpose on the starboard engine and a starting battery on the generator. I put the port and starboard battery switch in the parallel position for starting the engines and then I shut it off. Once I arrive at my destination I shut off the starboard battery and use the port/deep cycle to run stereo, head, water pump, cabin lights, etc. This way you never kill your secondary battery on your starboard engine.

This process works good for me and I do not seem to experience any problems with my EFI engines by using a deep cycle battery.

How does Volvo Penta expect you to run your 12v systems for any length of time without using a deep cycle battery? Also, am I really at risk of having problems with my EFI engines by using a deep cycle battery?

The short answer is that starting batteries are made to produce high peak current and DC batteries are made to maintain constant power over a longer period of time. VP likely doesn't care about our stereos, head, fridge, etc.....they want to limit warranty/service claims. Its a classic CYA guideline.

That being said, not all batteries and setups are created equal. I'm sure there are DC batteries out there that outperform starting batteries and vice versa. You sound like you have fresh batteries that can be topped off with the genset if needed. My opinion of that situation is that DCs are ok, you want to make sure that the battery can maintain the specified current for your engine in a starting situation. Your engine elec manual should specify the starting current (IIRC its 650amps) - so if your DC's can provide that current for however long it takes to start after running your electronics - you're good.

Some of the automakers make this recommendation as well, if low voltage/current is provided to the ICs in the 'puter - those circuits work harder, heat up, crack solder or just plain fail.

Great comments and questions. I have a 2005 Monterey 298 sc. I'm in the process of making some battery changes myself. First, I agree I don't know why Monterey didn't offer or install a house battery as part of the original set up. However, I have heard and I know the manual states problems can occur over time with EFI engines if something other than a starting battery is used with less than 650 cca. So I'm installing two 650 cca starting batteries for each engine. In addition I'm installing a deep cycle third battery to run all the 12v items while at anchor. In doing this I'll assure myself two strong starting batteries without needing to rely on an emergency parallel switch.

I recently installed two "dual purpose" batteries in my 250SC. I've been pleased with being able to leave the refrigerator on overnight and longer while not plugged into shore power. No issues with starting.

Great comments and questions. I have a 2005 Monterey 298 sc. I'm in the process of making some battery changes myself. First, I agree I don't know why Monterey didn't offer or install a house battery as part of the original set up. However, I have heard and I know the manual states problems can occur over time with EFI engines if something other than a starting battery is used with less than 650 cca. So I'm installing two 650 cca starting batteries for each engine. In addition I'm installing a deep cycle third battery to run all the 12v items while at anchor. In doing this I'll assure myself two strong starting batteries without needing to rely on an emergency parallel switch.

Hi,

So you have a total of five batteries now, or do you still have the original set up with three?

How is your set up?

Would love to have three household batteries and one for starting battery.

Regards

Persk

PERSK,

I have a total of three batteries. A starting battery for each engine. I then installed a third Group 27 Deep cycle for everything other than starting the engines. At anchor I turn off both starting batteries and everything is run thru the third deep cycle. All three are connected to my battery charger. I just installed this set-up over the winter. It works awesome!!

Swest,

I would love if you could post a schematic of your set up.

How many amps of the Group 27?

How do you turn off the starting batt's?